NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Autocar Publicity »

It's there in Hall 5...
Arriving E (JF).jpg
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

And in place:
In place RR (PJ).jpg
Photo courtesy Paul Jones (Warley).

The setting up for the weekend is being done right now, the hall is filling up with exhibits large and small.

One bitter pill for me to swallow is after all the work done to place the autocar there and try and make the show a success, I cannot be there, due to sudden family illness I have to attend to other things right now. Doubtless there will be a lot of waiting around, so I'll try and do a few updates then. My apologies to anyone wanting to have a chat or ask any questions face to face.

Two new items for sale at Warley, a souvenir guide (A4, 24 pages, full colour, £3) and a DVD of the restoration (£5 - unsure of the run time but the draft was 45 minutes). I guess in our own little way we're contributing to the 'Warley Effect' of launches and announcements. These will be on sale elsewhere afterwards, direct from us and possibly others but we need to work out P&P, packaging etc.
guide cover.jpg
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

And you will be happy to know you where just awarded the Sir William McAlpine trophy by Mr Pritchard of Peco, I'll post a pic later once I resize it

Hope the family are okay

And she looks great, very impressive
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Thanks Brian. An e-mail's come through mentioning this but no details as yet. A frame from Alan, showing the autocar and our show volunteers.
AC stand (AC).jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Excellent work on the railcar, Congratulations.

A little more creative thinking and some train-set track, it could have been running around the Hall, Turned Warley into a layout. :lol: :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Now there's a thought...

A good weekend, plenty of interest, a fair few people saying they thought it was the best prototype display Warley had had. Photos to follow later, but here's one of Heljan's early production model, courtesy of 'Lawrence of the A Team' via Twitter.
EP Heljan 4mm AC Twitter courtesy Lawrence.jpg
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Just a quick post (Warley photos to follow when I can).

This weekend, the autocar is due to run in the Great Central's Winter Steam Gala (http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-even ... team-gala/) in the 'railcar' slot, with three round trips on both Saturday & Sunday. Any pictures, do please share...

Sorry it's short notice but it has been dependent on various things. We've had a successful test this afternoon and will have an engineer or two keeping their eye on things over the weekend, so if you see one or more of our number peering into the engine housing, don't panic, you're not about to have to walk back...
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

A few pictures from Warley:

Due to the transport being delayed, the autocar was loaded in the dark, which might have resulted in some atmospheric photography but wasn't much fun for those waiting to load up.
Loading Autocar 21Nov2019 Pic1 (AC) R.jpg
And after we all got there, set-up and took a breath or two, time for the 'team line-up'.
Autocar Group Picture at Warley 24Nov2019 (AC) R.jpg
Just in case anyone hasn't got a sense of how big Warley is, a photo from one of the galleries, showing the centre of the hall. Suddenly Manna's comment about having the autocar running round the outside edge of the hall doesn't seem so wacky...
Autocar at Warley - sea (AC) RR.jpg
And afterwards, a shorter trip to the GCR.
Offloading at Quorn 25Nov2019 Pic1 (DJM) ER.jpg
Photos courtesy of Alan Chandler and Dave Moore.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

unloaded (DJM) RR.jpg
An atmospheric shot of the autocar, courtesy Dave Moore, somehow reminiscent of some of Eric Treacy's work.

The autocar was a late addition to the Gala. There was a successful test on Thursday and our hopes that 3170 would run in the Gala were granted. There have been a fair few pictures and videos already posted online, but courtesy of Sean Croshaw, Paul Abell and Nigel Mapstone respectively, three photos:
NER Autocar 3170 plus 62005 Rothley 25 Jan 2020 Sean Croshaw photo IMG_7843 RR.jpg
Autocar Rothley 25 Jan 2020 Paul Abell RR.jpg
DSC_0477 GCR Gala (Nigel Mapstone) ECR.jpg
A full report is included in our latest newsletter (in production) but, short version - it was a big success. Our thanks to the GCR for the invite.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Some volunteering vacancies:

As with most volunteer groups, we're keen to hear from people who are interested in practical work. A donation, whether a few pounds via PayPal or a substantial cheque is always going to be welcome. However, to keep the autocar running and to do the things we'd like to do and make full use of this remarkable vehicle and the trailer autocoach, we need people to volunteer their time. For instance, a few posts ago I announced our new guide. It's had good feedback and we sold a good number at Warley. But we also need people to sell this on the autocar, whether at Embsay or when the autocar's 'on tour'. As well as volunteer stewards, we need someone to deal with online sales, setting up a 'shop' and fulfilling orders. We have quite a few products for sale but no-one to sell them.

How about yourself you may ask? Well, I may need to ask Richard to change my user name. Due to the family illness that resulted in me missing Warley and ongoing care issues, I've had to take a step back from most of my activites, including the publicity and project work for the autocar. (Thanks to those who have expressed good wishes; I don't think 'Fate' was listening). Our secretary has advised of his retirement come November. Like me, he has increasing demands on him and we can't do it all.

We would also like to investigate building a museum come workshop for the autocar - we need someone to act as co-ordinator and manager for this. None of us have the necessary expertise or knowledge to work on this ourselves.

We would like to build on what we've achieved so far and without suitable volunteers, it's not going to happen. It may be a Sunday but I do not want to sound like I am giving a sermon - I know many of you will have busy lives already and I know that feeling all too well - but if you can help, even if it is just a few hours a month, do please speak to us. Do not rely on 'the other fella' doing it. If you can't help, do you know a friend or neighbour who is/may be interested and might be able to? Thanks to technology, some roles can be done literally anywhere in the world, so whilst we don't expect a Thursday working party commute from Australia, or Texas, or British Columbia, or even the Isle of Colonsay to Embsay, if you can help with any 'back-room' or off-site tasks, don't be shy. Please help us with the most precious asset of all - your time. (Don't tell our Treasurer...) :wink:
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Just been a-riding this beauty in the rain today at the GCR and what a splendid trip it was. Thanks to one and all for the restoration and the railway for putting her on. Just the ticket. If you ain’t seen it yet get yourself a ride when you can.
Proper job!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm afraid it looks like rain again this weekend if they run it but it's good it's stretching its wheels over the winter. It's something different for them and quite a bit older than most of their stock. Well, the bodywork anyway, if not the powertrain and control gear ... mutters something about grandad's axe...
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Autocar Publicity wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:46 pm Glad you enjoyed it. I'm afraid it looks like rain again this weekend if they run it but it's good it's stretching its wheels over the winter. It's something different for them and quite a bit older than most of their stock. Well, the bodywork anyway, if not the powertrain and control gear ... mutters something about grandad's axe...
Triggers broom!!!
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

:wink:
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Firstly, it's been reported over on 'the dark side' that the autocar will be running during the GCR's 'Goods Gala' at the end of March. I've not had anything offical internally but we have had suggestions previously this may happen. Hopefully the weather will be kind and we won't be in the middle of a pandemic.

Secondly, this isn't quite a 'tombstone' post (I hope!) but don't expect to hear from me for a bit. As some of you know, my life has pretty much been wrecked over the last year or so, mainly thanks to caring responsibilities and crises dropped in my lap because of family expectations that I will sort out whatever problems they have and a reluctance to accept that it's actually their responsibility, not mine. This selfish attitude has taken its toll on my health and I am now facing some health problems of my own. Hopefully not life-threatening but I should find out shortly. So if I'm silent, it's nothing you chaps have said or not said. I still think it's a good forum and I'm happy to be a member. But if I'm in hospital, I won't have Internet access. Or if I'm trying to convalesce, I don't want any distractions or feel obligated to check for and reply to posts about the autocar. Should the worst happen, well, it's been a pleasure and I hope I've provided a positive contribution to the forum.

Take care now,

Simon.