Carriages pulled by J15, J69 & N2

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

derekmac
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Carriages pulled by J15, J69 & N2

Post by derekmac »

Hello - I am working on designs for Gauge 1 live steam (using computerised radio control system) locomotives J15, J69 & N2. I need advice on suitable carriage kits to make to go with them. I would prefer examples that have been preserved so I can photograph them. Even better if works drawings are available. I have drawn up Quad/Quin-art carriages in the hope that they will suit the N2, but I need suggestions for the J15 and J69, - preferably carriages that could be used with many other LNER locos. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Carriages pulled by J15, J69 & N2

Post by silverfox »

Derek
Isinglass drawings are you friend
I think there is a book that gives details of the make up of various trains
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Carriages pulled by J15, J69 & N2

Post by Hatfield Shed »

derekmac wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:37 pm ... I have drawn up Quad/Quin-art carriages in the hope that they will suit the N2...
The N2 on its 'home ground' of KX suburban had a very specific pair of Gresley design GN section Quad Arts for the inner suburban services, which was the majority of its employment. They would also regularly be seen on ECS turns hauling any of the main line stock, and with non-gangwayed carriages on secondary services (and trip freight).
...I need suggestions for the J15 and J69, - preferably carriages that could be used with many other LNER locos. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
The problem you run into is that these were GE design locos, and largely confined to that section, just as the N2s were mostly to be seen on the GN section.

The common factor is LNER design coaches by Gresley and Thompson. I feel the Gresley 51' underframe non-gangwayed types give you the most flexibility, if the 'many other LNER locos' are to be smaller secondary power classes, and especially so if they are going to be drawn from yet further LNER constituent's classes.