Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you like the D.79 cast sides so far. Don't feel afraid to point out all the awkward bits in the building of a carriage from those parts too. I wouldn't want anybody to be misled into thinking that it just falls together. The builder has to do some thinking and some practical problem solving.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Do I see a D49 drawing on display Dave?

I am seeing what can be done with 'Scottiedog' delivering the NER carriages. Doncaster Show is odds-on at present.

I am busy digitising a LNER GN Section Main Line, KX to Doncaster, summer 1938 WTT at present. Sadly it had half a page carefully removed. Fortunately 'Seagull' of this parish was able to fill in the missing parts. What a star!

The WTT will be available as a PDF via the LNER Society, in due course.

I have not forgotten your NE Area summer 1939 WTT request either Dave.

John
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Does not compute Dave, you with a tidy desk. If you can turn out the good work with an untidy workspace,
just think what you might do with a tidy one??

Mind you, I cannot talk, my drafting space is still a mess, but at least I am getting things moving again.

Saw Tim's B3 last week in real life, very impressed with what he has done with the tender, let alone the loco.

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Graeme, having to think and solve some practical problems will be fun, we will see if I pass the tests,
I doubt it.

John, yes that is a drawing for a D49, the model is also on the desk, so it's not forgotten.
A PDF copy will be brilliant, glad Seagull could help fill in the missing page. Yes the wonderful
NER Area timetable, can't wait, I'm sure it will be great reading.

Paul, thank you for the kind comment regarding quality of work, I doubt it will get better
as in a week or so it will be back to normal. I agree Tims B3 does look amazing and so small as well,
I hope to see it running one day.

The observant among you may have noticed there is no dynamo on the BG this will be fitted last of all when
all handling is complete as it's one of Mike Trice's amazing 3d printed ones and very fragile.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I am sure the NE Area WTT will be interesting.

I have just noticed some riveting reading in a WTT in my collection, Light Engine Movements in the Eastern Section Suburban Area, ( i.e. Liverpool St.) which runs to 35 pages. Surely a cure for insomnia.

It is in a bound Volume of WTTs for the Eastern Section in 1930. Approx. 4 inches thick.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

East Suffolk as well?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I will check Jonathan.

I have sent you an email rather than clog-up Dave's excellent thread.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

John & Jonathan, post away I don't mind, the more info spread around the better.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

In that case Dave, it does contain what Jonathan wanted.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Been applying transfers to some LMS pipe wagons I got from Scottiedog at Thirsk show earlier this year and given the
BG a coat of red primer and black to the underframe. Then the teak has started to be applied, first base coat of teak applied to
give a bit of tone to the top coats.
Attachments
IMG_7865.JPG
IMG_7866.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Just had a phone call from Monk Bar Model Shop, my LNER J72 has just come in....now in my
sticky little mits, what a stunning model, even the inside valve gear is indicated in a way.
A nice Christmas present to ones self.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Just in case anyone has not seen one, here are some poor pics of my new J72, the red rods will have gone by the weekend and possibly the lining too.
For just slightly over £100 brilliant, and a small bag of lamps and bits came with it. It's now only the third Bachmann loco I own, not been a fan of them
with split chassis etc etc. I will have to look at maybe altering the kinked rods, you can see them in the pics, if they start to grate on me after I have removed the paint.
I also had a close look at the new Bachmann brakedown crane...wow what a model and when you see it in the flesh I
think for what you get, it's cheap. The red version looks very good, but the grey one just looks the dogs dangley bits.
Attachments
IMG_7871.JPG
IMG_7868.JPG
IMG_7870.JPG
IMG_7872.JPG
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Dave,

The model certainly looks better than my old whitemetal effort, a Ks kit?

Some locos did have red coupling rods in the 1930s, but I think they were in a small minority.

The lining doesn't do for your period, which is a pity. I quite like the lined black livery.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Snap, John. We'll have to compare them sometime. Mine only cost twenty quid, though and the bloke dropped it for me for free.

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the confirmation John.

Snap, that was the first loco kit I ever built, I finished it in LNER green. I
think I binned it in a house move years ago as I don't have it now, mine cost less than that.
Never ever got it to run smoothly, put it down to me but since found out about K's motors etc
so maybe it was fine, main reason why it went.