Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Copenhagen Fields & TFW’s workshop

Post by Tim Watson »

The smokebox hand wheel was made by drilling five 0.3mm diameter holes within a 1.5mm diameter circle in 0.26mm thick steel.
The circumference of the wheel was then filed into the steel.
An 08 NiTi K flex endodontic file was used to improve the shape of the holes.
The wheel was then soldered onto the dart in front of an etched 2mm handrail knob, acting as the other hand (a jolly clever idea from Nick Mitchell)

I think the end result looks more restrained than the five spoke wheel. The handrails will finish off the smokebox, but I think my eyes need a rest, even though I was wearing 3.8x loupes for this job.

Tim
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Tim,
The closer you get to the finish line, before painting, the more difficult it becomes to see the small
things which make such a difference.

Stunning as usual

Thanks

Paul
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

After a little break from modelling for a variety of reasons, I have at last finished the handrail on the front of Valour. This is a bit tricky because there is an integral stanchion & lamp bracket at the top.
This was filed up from 10 thou thick steel around a 0.3 mm diameter hole.
The handrail was bent up from spring steel wire and then silver soldered in place, using a charcoal block to steady both components whilst soldering.
The fire stain will be kept, so that the bracket does not need painting. 
It took three stanchions and three handrails to get it right.  I now know why I was not an orthodontist - I dislike wire bending.

Tim
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You have to have those handrail curves just right to get the proper GC look, and those appear spot-on. I agree that it is a tedious job to form them. I even did it some years ago on a couple of OO locos using stiff steel piano wire, thinking that the stiffness would be needed to resist later distortion due to handling - very hard work to get those right! I've since learned that much more compliant types of wire are perfectly adequate.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Just amazing.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The rear handrails on GC side-windowed cabs were supported by a slender bracket above waist height. 
(photo courtesy Peter - PAD)
The bracket was made from a strip of 5 thou N/S with a snake’s tongue filed into one end, rather than a hole.  The other end of the handrail would be supported near the roof. 
This was soldered on, using a Macor ceramic block to support it, as the iron was brought to bear on the well fluxed & tinned components. 
A block of wood could probably have served as well. 

The handrail was made from the usual pivot steel, again well tinned, with the solder being used to make the central handrail knob.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Recent efforts have concentrated on the front end again. The two ‘brass’ oilers tucked in next to the smokebox will never tarnish...

Other fittings such as the brake pipe were bent up from 0.4mm diameter brass wire, wrapped with fine wire to represent the flexible hose and the pipe fittings.  Lamp irons were flattened 33 SWG phosphor bronze wire. 

GC engines have an interesting horizontal swinging arrangement for the front coupling hook. The only outstanding fittings to be made at the front are now the guard irons and frames above the front bogie wheel. These may be made of black styrene, for expediency. 

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Needless to say, the Robinson engines had a very stylish hand brake column on the tender. 
I originally played with a brass casting, but this didn’t look right: Valour has become quite a special engine, so I thought something better was needed.  I therefore turned up some 1mm diameter brass rod, initially to the diameter of the head. This was grooved across the top with a slotting file. 
It was then put in the lathe and the just the top shank of the brake rod hand turned with a graver. 
The rear of the column was then moved out of the collet and taper turned to length, finishing off with a fine file - note the finger rest when turning and the file held lightly between first finger and thumb 
The handle was bent up from steel wire and fitted into the slot on the head. 
The two components were held relative to each other using insulating tape and soldered with some very good solder & flux from Germany that works well with steel https://www.fohrmann.com/en/solder.html ... rviceemail

The end result (two were made) can be compared with the casting, which had been modified as much as I could.  It would probably have been OK on a ‘layout’ loco.  Any  excess steel was cut off with a fine diamond slitting disc on the hand made column.
It was soon mounted on the tender footplate. 
The cab fittings will probably have the plastic pattern made at the MEE at Ally Pally in a few weeks time. 

Tim
Last edited by Tim Watson on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The GA in the Johnson book shows the sandbox and its linkage for the self trimming tender. Both boxes were operated by a common linkage with an operating handle on one side half way up the rotating part, on the driver’s side of the tender.
I don’t think the sandbox would have been very prominent on this tender.  They were made from bits of brass with a 0.7mm hole for the lid cover and a 0.3 mm hole for the operating rod.  A piece of rod was pushed through and soldered to make the lid and then cur off and filed to shape. 
The operating rod was then soldered into the back of the sand box.
The operating handle was represented by a handrail knob etching, cut down. The linkage across the top was represented by a piece of 5 thou NS strip.

I think that’ll do for now. 
Tim
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Impressive. I've just got as far as practical proof that in 4mm scale the fold-up piece for the hopper bunker can in fact be bent to the correct shape without gaps and that it will fit in the right place in rest of the structure when the latter is soldered up rigidly. I was led to believe before I started that this was a point of some concern, so I'm relieved to have that out of the way......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

It is nice to see 2 versions of the Self trimming Tender being built right now, and their being better than I had thought
all those years ago when I abandoned them.

The amount of detail Tim has put in is amazing, and as I have said before even better in real life, as long as you have good
seeing aids :roll:

I am however intrigued by the number of levers on the front, and to this day, not sure what they all do.
There is a big wheel for certain of them is the scoop gear, then alongside that are a pair of levers working in
an arc on either side of the toolbox.
then lower down there is the brake wheel
behind that two simple levers which I guessed were the water pipe levers,
as for the sand levers, I note that in the photo provided by Tim of the brake standard, there do not appear
to be sand boxes, plus the raised footplate has a cut out at the front which does not appear on the drawing
as far as I could see.
Thank goodness we have in this instance a preserved tender to check details, even though we do not know how much
of its look is post grouping, it is at least a good guide.

Paul
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

The preserved Butler Henderson tender has apparently had the sandboxes removed, so is not correct for my model in-service. The cut out at the front on BH is not very relevant, as this would be covered by the fall plate.

Tim
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Thanks for the update Tim
just confirms that we always need to check contemporary photos where possible.

It also shows that tender photos really are like hen's teeth.

Do we know whether the GC fallplates were from the loco back, or from the tender forwards?

Paul
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Tender forward, usually at least, by the looks of it. The Scottish Director tender drawing that Tim posted above shows the fallplate and other photos of Director locos with standard tenders show the same arrangement.

Simon
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

That’s very helpful for transferring tender weight onto the back of an engine.

Tim