Durham - Bishop Auckland - Bridge No.25

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Durham - Bishop Auckland - Bridge No.25

Post by drmditch »

Below are some pictures which I took earlier last year and have been meaning to post.
Bridge_25_Post_01.jpg
This is my local line (now one of the excellent County Durham Railway Paths) and opened in 1857. There are two bridges of this design remaining between Brandon and Willington. From the Line Diagram it appears that these are Occupation Road Bridges (as indeed they still are) numbered 25 and 23. Most of the public road bridges had cast-iron girders and were presumably removed when Sustrans converted the line.
Bridge_25_Post_02.jpg
The cement plaque shown appears on the right hand abutment both southbound and northbound on Bridge No.25. (I have shown only the southbound one as it is in better condition.)
Bridge_25_Post_03.jpg
It appears to read 'Painted January 24th 1915', but it is a stone built bridge with a stone balustrade. The Line Diagram does not indicate any other structure to which this could refer.

Could it possibly be meant to read 'Pointed' ?

I have not seen or read of any similar plaques elsewhere. Does anybody know anything about this?
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Durham - Bishop Auckland - Bridge No.25

Post by JohnV »

Co. Durham has a terrific, most helpful web-site devoted to disused railway paths with all kinds of useful information. Recently I've taken U3A parties from Bishop Auckland to Sunnybrow (so across the viaduct) and from Spennymoor to Bishop. (The platforms at Hunwick on the former and Byers Green on the latter are still there). Part of the Barnard Castle to Middleton in Tessdale line is next.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

JohnV wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 pm Co. Durham has a terrific, most helpful web-site devoted to disused railway paths with all kinds of useful information. Recently I've taken U3A parties from Bishop Auckland to Sunnybrow (so across the viaduct) and from Spennymoor to Bishop. (The platforms at Hunwick on the former and Byers Green on the latter are still there). Part of the Barnard Castle to Middleton in Tessdale line is next.
You would be hard-pushed to see platforms at Hunwick! The station building survives, although modified since railway times. As it happens I had an interesting conversation with the current owner this afternoon. He wishes the platform was still there.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

actually the sign says "POINTED" in 1915, which means that the mortar was repaired at that date.

HTH

Paul
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

john coffin wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am actually the sign says "POINTED" in 1915, which means that the mortar was repaired at that date.

HTH

Paul
Yes, I did rather think that, although even on close examination the 'o' does look very like the 'a' in 'January' just beneath.

The reason for this post is that I not seen,read, or heard of any other such plaques. It is presumably made of mortar. This bridge is in a fairly sheltered position which might account for the plaques survival.

Has anyone else knowledge of such plaques on an NER structure?
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by JohnV »

drmditch

You're correct of course.

Cheers.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

There are platforms (although only on one side) on the Lanchester line at Witton Gilbert, Lanchester and Knitsley.
Kinsley was only ever a single platform.
Witton Gilbert now sports a tall leylandii hedge to give the owners some privacy.

I think there may be some structures on the Derwent Valley line, but I haven't been that way recently.