Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by JASd17 »

Well I have found some of it!
DSC_6369 small J72.jpg
DSC_6368 Small J72.jpg
I would only have been about 14 when I built this.

As far as I recall I only had LNER Albums 2 and 3 at this point, so livery details must have come from The History of Railways part-work.

It never did run well, just like Dave's.

It is nice to see models have moved on.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very nice John, mine looked a bit like that in the end ....just a body.
Last Thursday I called into Monk Bar for some Evergreen Z angle for the underframe to
go under Graeme's D79 carriage, another Christmas present to myself was just being unpacked.
The NER version of the J72, I was not expecting that, what a beautiful little model. A job for the warmer weather
will be a repaint into LNER plain black. It's a good job I got a bonus.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Some pics of the J72 I took this lunchtime, a little beauty.

Happy Christmas and New Year to you all.
Attachments
IMG_7875.JPG
IMG_7874.JPG
IMG_7877.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well Happy New Year to everyone.

As I was ill over Christmas I did not get a lot done, but the BG has had it's teak finish applied and lining out started.
The ends and one side are complete now. I had planned to make a lot of progress as I was given some extra days off from
pooey work by my boss, which was very kind of him, as I had used all my holiday up, but spent it feeling very sorry for myself recycling what I had eaten (nice).
I don't think I have ever eaten or drunk so little at Christmas before.
Attachments
IMG_7880.JPG
IMG_7881.JPG
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

So does that mean that you are joining dry january?????????????

Paul

Hope all who suffered from the lurgy over the season are finally getting better,
it certainly seems to have been a bad one this year.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

In a word Paul. No.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Painted, lined and lettered into a 1931 build, as 4136. just glazing, handles roof to fix.
Don't look too closely at the lining, all done with a brush and looks fine at viewing distances.
I know teak did not have any black in it but to give a bit of hue at 3'-0" and more it just shows
as a darker shade.
Attachments
IMG_7897a.jpg
IMG_7898a.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That works very well. Humbrol 10 will give you a similar effect.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Jonathan. I will try Humbrol 10.

Glazing being added, handrails added and door ironmongery.

Also got a Kirk short BG the other day from a chap at my club, last night I stripped it down, roof off to get the loose nuts out
that held the bogies prompted that. So stripped out glazing, removed handles, and removed most of the underframe details including buffers, still got steps to remove.
It's been numbered as a Dia 111 of 1928 as 70149, I intend to repaint in teak and number it as a Dia 282 1938 build, as it's got an
angle iron truss, as a Dia 111 it would have a turnbuckle truss I think. Just thought when built would they run on 8'-0" Gresley bogies ?, I must check when I get home.
Attachments
IMG_7900.JPG
IMG_7902.JPG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:56 pm Also got a Kirk short BG the other day from a chap at my club, last night I stripped it down, roof off to get the loose nuts out
that held the bogies prompted that. So stripped out glazing, removed handles, and removed most of the underframe details including buffers, still got steps to remove.
It's been numbered as a Dia 111 of 1928 as 70149, I intend to repaint in teak and number it as a Dia 282 1938 build, as it's got an
angle iron truss, as a Dia 111 it would have a turnbuckle truss I think. Just thought when built would they run on 8'-0" Gresley bogies ?, I must check when I get home.
Dia. 282 had the Fox bogies; the Gresley 8' heavy was intended to increase the payload and that was not relevant for the shorter vehicles. Has the kit been built with a ducket - because that was also a feature of Dia. 282?
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you 65447 for the fox bogie info, the Dia drawing is indistinct, could be either.
Yes it has a ducket.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Anyway as I had stripped that little BG down I thought at the weekend I need something quick
to revive the mind as spending a whole weekend skip filling is a wonderful pastime, so instead of leaving it alone,
I had intended to put it to one side and finish the big BG and Hornby carriage before I really started on it.
I've removed the door vents, replaced with new ones from Evergreen strip with the backs chamfered to give the slope.
Then new MJT buffers, ducket and Fox bogies (not compensated), lighting jumper cables being added, these are 16BA bolts
with thin fuse wire soldered into the slot.
I had started to remove the full length steps but the plastic solebars were very brittle and I managed to shatter parts of one
side when nearly complete, I've made new solebars from Evergreen eighth inch channel with the bottom flange
cut off and replaced with a length of Slaters microrod..........presto bulb angle, I'm quite pleased with them, but the photo does
not show it very well as the white plastic does not capture very well. In fact the end view is poor but you can make out the cables.
Attachments
IMG_7903.JPG
IMG_7904.JPG
IMG_7905.JPG
IMG_7908.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Over the weekend I managed to find a bit of time to progress the little baby BG, along with a very nice afternoon spent in the Maltings on Friday with a couple of fellow LNER Soc members discussing the merits of the GWR and other minor topics.
So the solebars have been replaced, as they are thinner than the Kirk versions I had to add a strip of .75mm Evergreen to get the width, then steps added. The original truss was carefully removed and refixed to suit the new solebars, 1mm brass angle is being added to show the truss cross bracing.
Strangely the roof overhung the body by 1.5mm each end as fitted, so 3mm was removed from the middle, existing vents removed and new holes drilled, end roof steps added, beginning to look something like, battery box to make next. Sorry for the poor pics again but I was in a rush.
Attachments
IMG_8102.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG
IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8106.JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Kirk roofs are almost always overlong, I’ve done that to every one I’ve built.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Jonathan, shows how long ago I last built a Kirk kit, I had completely forgotten about the extended roofs.

Bit more done last night, brake gear etc and main vac pipe to side and feed pipes, these need final fix to main pipe.
Steps added below door steps, using brass angle and n/s sq point rodding as the supports.

Edit: to say it's all a bit tight to the bogie so had to squash it all up a bit, not sure if it's right as I don't have any underframe drawings for the baby stock.
Attachments
IMG_8107.JPG
IMG_8109.JPG