Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Atlantic's works: GCR self-trimming tender

Post by Horsetan »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:58 pm If Dave keeps referring to Tim’s work as ‘N gauge’, one or other of his canals may be in jeopardy.....
Probably a root canal.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I'm finding the tender build interesting as I have a GCR etched tender to build, and soldering etched kits is not in my comfort zone.

I've already picked up tips from these postings.

Now to restart a white metal 3500 tender which I need for a J39/1.

Earlswood Nob
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

earlswood nob wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:21 am....I'm finding the tender build interesting as I have a GCR etched tender to build....
Is that the Judith Edge one?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evening all

You're right, Horsetan, i have a set of etches for the B9. The tender looks straightforward, but I'd never thought of soldering on the inside until outlined above.

Malcolm (aka Earlswood Nob)
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Oh dear I seem to have committed a faux pas by referring to Tims model as N gauge, I meant Graeme had a hard act to follow with a larger scale model.
Graeme with your skill I expect you will make as much work as you are able ;).
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Edging towards a finished model....
081 on wheels at last.JPG
082 buffer height 1.JPG
085 brake levers 2.JPG
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Lovely. Suitable for D11s also....
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Looks nice Graeme. Maybe I missed it but is this another GK/GN enterprise? Presumably to go behind the B3 and promised B7?

Looking at the photos more carefully what’s the story behind the half etching on the outside face of the tender frames. By design or an artwork error?

Cheers...Morgan
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Greetings, rare contributor! It's not an item initiated by the two of us, since the artwork for this was under development by another forum contributor (who I imagine will identify himself if he wishes) a few moons ago. It would however suit the B3 and B7. As I understand it the process of getting the full details and dimensions of the artwork "right" started to involve too many costs and difficulties so development was suspended. I think the version of the etch that I'm building may not have had the benefit of a full test-build until now. Some "expected" problems have not materialized, some "unexpected" faults have been found.
I'm sure those half-etchings on the frames were designed in, as a "good idea at the time", but they do create a problem if you cannot get, or choose not to use, exactly the kind of axlebox / spring units that the draughtsaman had in mind.
What will stay and what will go as features of the design is yet to be decided. It is buildable as it is, albeit with necessary DIY alterations. There's always the danger that alterations to the artwork will create new problems as well as solving some.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 pm.... the artwork for this was under development by another forum contributor (who I imagine will identify himself if he wishes) a few moons ago. It would however suit the B3 and B7. As I understand it the process of getting the full details and dimensions of the artwork "right" started to involve too many costs and difficulties so development was suspended. .....
Hang on, is that the same designer I once heard about who, when correcting errors in artwork, would inadvertently introduce new ones?
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Horsetan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 am
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 pm.... the artwork for this was under development by another forum contributor (who I imagine will identify himself if he wishes) a few moons ago. It would however suit the B3 and B7. As I understand it the process of getting the full details and dimensions of the artwork "right" started to involve too many costs and difficulties so development was suspended. .....
Hang on, is that the same designer I once heard about who, when correcting errors in artwork, would inadvertently introduce new ones?
But....but...I do that too...
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Yes, this is the designer who has his designs test built more than once to ensure that his kits do not get too many
bad complaints about 3 years down the line when they are finally being built by the end customer.

I come from the old school which says that those who never make mistakes never evolve. nor make anything!
Only when you get something built by someone else do you discover whether your design ideas work or not.

To do this, you often have to change many things and thus might make inadvertent mistakes.

But test building each time only costs me money, not the end customer, and at least two of my kits are
featured in published books about best practice in kit building. So I must be doing something almost right
occasionally. :roll:

Graeme has built this tender to see whether it meets the high specs that he and Graham expect, now we have
to decide whether it is worth progressing into production, or needs a new test.

I would remind you that you in particularly are very critical of mass production manufactures not getting right
so I try to get it right before you can buy it, so I make no apologies for changing things and getting it wrong
in my attempts to be as right as I can.

Just a thought about the half etch on the outer frames. At the time of the original drafting, and indeed now,
some people had great difficulty in aligning their outside axleboxes, so the idea was to see if it would help.
We decided not to modify anything for either Tim, or Graeme until we saw whether the rest of the etch was
worth the effort.
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

My next three days will be fully occupied by family matters, and next week has to include preparation for Grantham's visit to Southampton, so the tender may not progress much. As it now stands, it does at least have its rear guard irons that were not there in previous pictures, and the first of a few resin castings that will simplify its completion.
090 guard irons 2.JPG
091 filler & scoop covers in resin.JPG

iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

Hmmmm, fascinating to see this pop up.
The game is afoot? :wink:
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

STA71640.JPG
STA71648.JPG