N Gauge Q6?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

N Gauge Q6?

Post by richard »

Okay, getting back into N Gauge/Scale. My son spied my disassembled test track a few weeks back.
I tried him with a few bits and he did okay (he isn't 5 yet!), so now the test track is set up and he has adopted my Union Pacific SD90 43MACs, and we're shopping for a caboose at this weekend's train show!
[the plan was that the test track could become a track for him to play on - it is Kato, so we can reconfigure the track; I assumed I'd have to sell the SD90s and replace them with the modern BNSF mainline engines we see coming through town. however this is easier on the pocket ]

If he keeps his interest up over the next month or two, I'll probably re-join the NGS.
He recognises 'Tornado' from the Paddington movie, but then tells my the LT Pannier is the other train (a red LMS Crab in the movie)...

Train running isn't going to be what it was when I was in a club, but I'm trying to get a handle on availability. At about the time everything was boxed away, someone had announced a Q6 in N Gauge. I assume that never happened? Is it still theoretically on the cards?
And did Farish announce a J72, or am I imagining that?

And where the the ngauge yahoogroup migrate to?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: N Gauge Q6?

Post by exile »

I'm not an N gauge modeller Richard but if it was DJM (and they were certainly thinking of a 00 one before Hornby stepped in) then it will have gone the way of ice cubes in a hot drink.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It may have been.

For some reason I was thinking Rapido (the modern one rather than Arnold), but did they ever actually release anything to the UK market? They seem to be pushing lots out to the US.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Farish got out a WD 2-8-0 and C class 0-6-0, which look to me to be a cut above anything previous in UK N steamers.

There's Union Mills to look at too, though difficult from the USA as there is no website. Simpler tender drive models, and choices in LNER traction.

Rapido appear to be partnering with 'RevolutioN', but I think that's all post steam. http://www.revolutiontrains.com/
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes I know of Union Mills and have owned some of their locos in the past. The ruggedness would certainly suit a 5 yr old :-) but in the past they were overtaken by Dapol & Farish in terms of detail, liveries, DCC, etc. I also never worked out a good way to clean the wheels on a Union Mills engine!

Not sure if the WD was released when I packed everything away - I'm pretty certain Hattons/etc were taking pre-orders though (ie. photos might have been of the OO versions).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Might be worth mentioning that Bachmann and Hattons aren't playing together, so one of the other reliable exporters will have to be used. It's a PITA as Hattons are the only UK model railway retailer with a truly useful website.
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

The Q6 was a DJM project so now dead in the water. The J72 was on the Farish to do list, but was cancelled some time ago. I forget the reason given, but think it related to it not being technically feasible at the price it would need to be marketed at.

Simon
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks Simon. That makes sense with the J72, although Dapol have a Terrier which is probably even smaller. I guess a Terrier is likely to sell more than a J72 - useful for light railways, more survive, and it probably has more 'character'!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Union Mills do the Q6 and apparently a Q2 as well. I had it in the back of my mind that Fence Houses also did a kit, but could not find anything on internet.
Unfortunately it seems to be a matter of taking what is available in N at the moment - there are very few steam locomotives actually in stock. I can recommend the Farish J39 - a beautiful runner straight from the box.
Peter
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

PGBerrie wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am.... I had it in the back of my mind that Fence Houses also did a kit, but could not find anything on internet. ..
Fencehouses don't really advertise their products, so you'd think they didn't produce anything. There is only their blog, which hasn't seen an update since 2013.

Here is the only list I've been able to exhume, and it's long out of date. There is a Q6 in it.
Attachments
Old Fencehouses price list
Old Fencehouses price list
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the list. I'm not sure if I'm up for 2mm / N scale brass kits. My eyes seem to be catching up to my age lol.

And I have the 7mm Q6 kit waiting on the shelf...

Thanks for the J39 recommendation. Considering the length of the test track / my son's line, a J39 is more practical than a WD. When I was in a club it was practical run full length trains, now less so. I haven't unpacked everything, but I was pleasantly surprised out how my 'Tornado' ran again. Surprisingly the Class 37 doesn't want to run well at all - probably it needs stripping down to the split frames or something.

At the Show (Plano - Dallas/Fort Worth) at the weekend, we managed to get some more Kato track, and a caboose. We were looking for a 'yellow' (ie. UP) caboose to match the SD90s for my son, but no one had the bay window type that I was looking for. Three manufacturers list them, but they're either out of stock or due for release later this year. "later this year" doesn't work for a 5yr old! So we have a green (Burlington Northern) caboose instead - they ran through Wichita Falls; so now I need a matching loco and cars :-)

On one of the O vendors, there was some British - a Southern tank and GWR coach, pre-war or 50s? Price seemed cheap but with vintage stuff price is always a minefield, so I left it.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia