Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Last up of the wagons

Very old Model wagon Castings only kit. A Great North Of Scotland cattle wagon. Very sparse instructions as well. Only two photos in Tatlow , neither show any layout for the Signage . Can anyone assist please ?.
In the Tatlow photos the cast plates were still there in LNER days one with the wagon number as per photo and the other plate marked Medium. I havent any decals that tiny however!!.
fullsizeoutput_2c0f.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hornby J50 lovely locos . First one bought as a wreck it had been dropped and the front snapped off and very badly glued attempt at a reapair. Rebuilt repainted and detail added. Second Loco detail added and weathered.
fullsizeoutput_2c04.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2c05.jpeg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Great work as always Mick.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

4mm NBR Developments NBR D 35B Brake van on the go , now ready for painting, roof and w irons not fixed down in photos. NIce little kit which has gone together well.
fullsizeoutput_2d6a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d6b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d6c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d6d.jpeg
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Excellent work Mick. Also loving the Thompson cameos.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Dave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 am Great work as always Mick.
Thanks
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:09 pm Excellent work Mick. Also loving the Thompson cameos.
Thanks, a Thompson Matchboard BG next up after the Brake van above.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some progress on the Blacksmith Thompson Deal BG and the langley Models ex NER Autocoach. Both poor kits , etched with solid floors , therfore paint body and glaze , then fix the roof on without ruining the body !! Fingers crossed on that !!.
Both have had MJT underfittings as the supplied castings went in the bin. Langley dont even supply the Bogies.
fullsizeoutput_2f63.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2f64.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2f65.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2f66.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some photos which disapeared a long time ago of the D&S Cowans Crane and NER Breakdown train build, before the rtr version is released.
fullsizeoutput_2f67.jpeg
IMG_1269.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2f5d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2f5e.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

fullsizeoutput_2f5f.jpeg
IMG_1280.JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I built the Blacksmith Thompson van years ago and I don't recall it having a floor.... I'll have to get it out and have a look. I do remember having to source replacement bogies for it as they were missing.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sorry JW ,
On the Thompson BG due to the way its designed, I decided to make the body up and add the floor before adding the roof , this is due to the large "shelf" edges etched along the bottom of the sides, which have to be bent upwards to 45degrees to support the floor. In theory you could leave that bending until after the roof is fitted , but I could see no way that the paint would survive using that method , on my kit there are oversize relieving holes on the fold lines which I have had to fill before painting as well. I used Plastikard sheet for the floor , it would have been virtually impossible to add inside the body after the roof was attached ,again without paint damage and then you would still have to paint the underbody. Mine had a set of whitemetal bogies the castings were so weak they fell to pieces when I attempted to build them . That maybe due to old age ,as the kit was bought in late 1980's by a previous owner. The etches are dated 1984.

The Langley Autocoach one is even worse . Etched sides and floor in one piece , you have bend the sides up and form the tumblehome at the same time . It even had one end attached to each side, the "instructions" at least said cut the ends off before forming !!
I am amazed that they are still selling them ! Mine is a ebay find at half the current price r.r.p. I wouldnt recommend buying one !!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

GNOS Cattle wagon finished, total guess at lettering, I copied the NBR layout from Tatlow photos.
fullsizeoutput_3125.jpeg
NBR Brake van
fullsizeoutput_312c.jpeg
Blacksmith Thompson BG
fullsizeoutput_312a.jpeg
D&S NER Coaches , I am unable to finish them until I can get the Roof etches , after the Lock down ends.
fullsizeoutput_3121.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Langley Autocoach teamed with a G5 until I build the G6 I have just obtained.
fullsizeoutput_3127.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3129.jpeg
IMG_1526.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Great work as ever Mick. You can't have enough NER carriages.