LNER (GCR) S1 Build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: LNER (GCR) S1 Build

Post by Paul_sterling »

Paints on!

Actually I must admit, I've just gone and got a little impatient.

I'm at the stage where I would like to add the waterslide rivets, and in order to do that, I need a gloss surface. I have Railmatch Gloss varnish, which is a country mile up on Humbrol's, but the downside what I've got is enamel. my primer and top coats are acryllic, and whilst it is feasible to paint acryllic over enamel, it has to completely de-gas before you do.

So, the idea is that I've put the top coat of primer on, and the first couple of coats of Halfords Matt Black (which I am really happy with how it provides just the right amount of matt, and "blackness"). From this point on, I'll put the gloss on where transfers are to go (i.e. the splashers, the side tanks, and the bunker), to apply the rivets and transfers. if the rivets stand out, I'll paint them with enamel weathering powders (humbrol smoke, and black mixed probably), before sealing the whole thing with Railmatch Matt.

The impatience, is that I did not take any pics with the loco fully in primer grey. I'll snap some pics of it in black ones its dried and 'matted'

but overall, i'm quite happy with it!

Thanks, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Folks,

Loco has been masked up, and a coat of gloss on the areas where the transfers are going onto.

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

There was a profound cock-up after putting the gloss coat on the Loco.

After finishing the S1, to a quality that I was happy with, it was put to the bottom of the spray booth to cure. I'd recently bought some spray which looked like it could be a good match for LNER green, and applied this to the 0-6-0 versions of LH&JC No.29, completely forgetting about the S1, and giving some of the unmasked areas a gentle coating of acrylic green- IDIOT.

Wiped this off as best I could with a rag and IPA, and managed to restore the S1 to somewhere like ready for a re-coat of acrylic black, giving it the weekend to dry before doing so, and finally, late last week, re-applying the gloss varnish.

Yesterday the transfers went on, as with the Q1, I've gone for the large British Railways insignia, rather than the small one these engines were actually fitted with, for largely the same rules as the Q1 (i.e. small crest is way too small for the huge slab sides of the S1, in pictures, it looks almost comical to me, and I also like the conspicuous large crest). As usual, the loco numbers were a bit of a struggle, but the crest went on a piece of cake. A couple of the numbers (the usual suspects, 6 and 9) have a tiny lift on the ends of the legs, so I'll apply decal fixing, or micro-sol to those to help stick them down. As I'll need the same for during the rivet application, i'll do both at the same time.

New camera now, so some pics may follow.....................

Thanks, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Here's the pics

ImageIMG_4098[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4099[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr
You can see the Archers Waterslide rivets here, they are fiddly to use, but watching the film dry in is a joy, a quick application of microsol, and jobs-a-guddun.

ImageIMG_4100[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4102[1] by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

The bufferbeam is to rivet, cab to finish and then we're about there, I'm please I've managed with the rivets, it'll embolden me to have a go at them on No.29, which has loads!

Cheers. Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

As mentioned on the LH&JC thread, I've done a little more on the S1, its got only minor jobs left to do, but one is the cab, which I want to reprint with the DLP printer for better finish.

ImageIMG_1471 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1472 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1473 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

I've got a new set of buffers for it, so the Class 56 ones can come off. As these are such austere looking engines, what detail they have, really needs to be on there, so I will probably put rivets on the bufferbeams, as well as the sundry pipe connections, before painting the bufferbeams.

Bogie is now finished, and travels rather well, but I do need to set the back-to-backs, with my new gauge, as they were just guessed into place.

Cheers, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

I have now replaced the cab on the S1, with the DLP/Resin parts, and the appearance is much improved. The cab is painted as well.

Last tasks are to change those buffers, and detail the bufferbeam. I also need to correctly set the back to backs on the bogie, is may need a little ballasting or a vertical spring to push the bogie down to improve travel over points.

Paul.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

an impressive beastie
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

iainkirk wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:11 pm an impressive beastie
Thanks Ian (belatedly)

Its largely finished now, cosmetically, I think i've got a little tuning to do, on the rear bogie, there is limited space for ballast, so I think i'll look at a spring arrangement to make sure the bogie reliably traverses points, it hasn't had much running yet, as my railway is out of action due to building work, and its just too big to run on my Sons little layout.

Cheers, Paul.
alexturner2
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alexturner2 »

Hi Paul, this is a brilliant build. I made one myself using the Judith Edge etches and Bachmann chassis - came out pretty well for a hack but not as good as yours I have to say. Is there anyway to get a hold of a bodyshell from you if it’s on Shapeways or simply to purchase one please, I’d very much like to have a go at building one the same way you have? Am working on a U1 using some scaled up 3D printed bodyshell parts.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Alex,

Yes by all means, drop me a private message and I can sort out a shell for you.
Cheers. Paul
alexturner2
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alexturner2 »

Thanks Paul, for some reason I can’t yet send private messages (have not been registered long), could you message me and I can reply to that hopefully :)
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Alex,

PM sent.

Thanks, Paul.
alexturner2
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alexturner2 »

Hi Paul, thanks and PM received, unfortunately although I’ve emailed the moderator no joy yet being able to reply! Not quite sure what I can do next.. in the meantime I found some of pics of my effort :) if there’s not any news re being able to reply to PM’s soon I suppose I can provide a personal email here then delete it once you have it but obviously that’s not ideal :/
Attachments
4323DDD5-4245-4CBC-A500-9310764134B9.jpeg
5A1162F2-9311-4433-8E0E-35028F61864E.jpeg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Alex

If you leave a few more comments on other threads, you will soon be able to use the PM, I think it's only 5.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

alexturner2 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:16 pm Hi Paul, thanks and PM received, unfortunately although I’ve emailed the moderator no joy yet being able to reply! Not quite sure what I can do next.. in the meantime I found some of pics of my effort :) if there’s not any news re being able to reply to PM’s soon I suppose I can provide a personal email here then delete it once you have it but obviously that’s not ideal :/
Lovely work Alex, carries the austere shape of the S1 well.

And yes, re private messages, as Manna has pointed out, you have to have posted a certain number of messages before PM's can be sent, likely to prevent spammers.

Paul..