J21s and the Scarborough & Whitby line

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

J21s and the Scarborough & Whitby line

Post by markindurham »

Does anyone know if J21s ever ventured along the Scarborough & Whitby line please? They seemed to go pretty much everywhere else, but I haven't as yet found any evidence of them working along the coast. Many thanks in advance.

Mark
drmditch

Re: J21s and the Scarborough & Whitby line

Post by drmditch »

I haven't re-checked this, but I seem to remember reading that the engines re-built with piston valves below the cylinders (as with the sole survivor No.5033), had a problem with clearance on some underline bridge girders.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: J21s and the Scarborough & Whitby line

Post by markindurham »

drmditch wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:45 am I haven't re-checked this, but I seem to remember reading that the engines re-built with piston valves below the cylinders (as with the sole survivor No.5033), had a problem with clearance on some underline bridge girders.
That's interesting - would definitely like to know more about that, & not just for this query.

Mark