LNER stock still in service

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

LNER stock still in service

Post by silverfox »

Where can you still take on a Scheduled UK service in an ex LNER owned passenger vehicle?
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: LNER stock still in service

Post by majormagna »

Quite a few places, though (for obvious reasons) right now most heritage railways are either not running at all, or are on extremely limited services.

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway and Severn Valley Railway currently have several Gresley corridor cariages in service, the North Norfolk Railway has a Quad-Art set, as well as several pre-grouping carriages (later owned by the LNER) that come out on special occasions. Bo'ness has a few Thompson carriages, though I'm not certain how often they're used. Railways like the Tanfield have some ex-LNER carriages in non-historical guise, too.
Moors Bound
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Sorry Whilst you can ride on a lot ot ex LNER built carriages at Preserved lines.The ones i am referring to are normal scheduled trains that runs 7 days a week every day of the year.

And think laterally and look at the question again
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I thought that all stock that was older than the BR Mark 1's were banned from operating on the national network in..... something like the mid/late 70's to early 80's? For safety reasons and all that?
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

If your quick the Isle of Wight. Most of the surviving 1938 ex Northern Line tube stock was owned by the LNER.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Trestrol

You are the winner

It was something to do with the proposed electrification of the Ally Pally Branch. More an accounting exercise but the soleplates at the doors of about 20 cars of 1938 stock said Property of LNER They were never removed.Hopefully they might be saved and back on the mainland

Due to Covid the palnned trip just before Xmas was cancelled

Happy 2021 to all

Ron
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I doubt that most of the coaches will be saved but the plates will be worth a fortune to collectors . It's a miracle they haven't already disappeared.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

One plate turned up on ebay this year. Can't remember how much it went for. I made replica ones for the LNER Coach Association to attach to their carriages. These say Property of LNERCA. I cast them in resin.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

silverfox wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:04 pm Sorry Whilst you can ride on a lot ot ex LNER built carriages at Preserved lines.The ones i am referring to are normal scheduled trains that runs 7 days a week every day of the year.

And think laterally and look at the question again
To be fair, you can't blame me for thinking it was a legitimate question, and not a quiz.
Moors Bound
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Surely any question is a sort of quiz?
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

As you have stated "Passenger Vehicle" as opposed to passenger carriage, could one technically claim PS Waverley when it is operational?

Joshua
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Joshua

Yes could be counted but it didn't operate a regular scheduled service