Darlington Works

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Darlington Works

Post by Malcolm »

These are definitely the last I'm going to post for a long time.
I think I've maybe overdone the images a bit, and certain circumstances here in Japan have spiralled out of my control so I'll give it a rest.
I have enjoyed reading all the comments.

Make the most.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Darlington Works

Post by Trestrol »

Funny to think this site is now a supermarket. Although the works clock exists on the outside wall. I was only looking at the site yesterday on Windows maps and it seems some of the perimater wall still exists and maybe a few small buildings around the edge of the site. Thanks for sharing the photos they have been most interesting.
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

Malcolm

You have definitely saved the best for last. The picture of what looks like a Pacific under repair. Is it an A2? or perhaps even a V2? Can you or someone on here identify it?
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

It looks like a V2 to me, it also has 806 chalked on the cylinder cover.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

The 806 on the cylinder cover would seem to support 60806, though Yeadon gives the outshopping date for 806 as 5/10/62 while the photo is dated 22/10/62? In the 1950s and early 1960s the ex LNER Pacifics went to Doncaster for shopping .This changed in 1963 when Darlington began to repair Pacifics once again for its last couple of years, as Doncaster closed to steam repairs. From around late 1956 -61 Darlington was responsible for all V2 works repairs. From late 1961 Doncaster again took over responsibility for the ER members of the V2 class, though with withdrawals of the class beginning, relatively few repairs actually took place.
It is interesting to see the engine being painted in situ, Darlington Works not possessing a separate paint shop facility, as enjoyed by Doncaster.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I have have posted some shots of North Road Works just before it was demolished here -http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3276668811/
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Old DC cranes still being used judging by the 2 conductor bars in pics.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

Malcolm,
thanks for sharing those. Coming from Darlo, though a bit later than those scenes, I vaguely remember the works in the condition shown by Pinza's flickr stream (BTW it was Morrison's who redeveloped the main site and are still there today) but only ever seem to see the same views of the shops taken on open days/weekends so thank you for bringing forward something new.
Cheers
Steve