Italian Refridgerated ferry wagons on the LNER

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Chris Timony
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Italian Refridgerated ferry wagons on the LNER

Post by Chris Timony »

I have been asked to find clear pictures of Italian refridgerated ferry wagons of type Hgbp /Hgb (1931) That were commonly seen at Harwich and across the network (Cadbury's were a major customer) into the 1950's. Hermann, a German O Gauge manufacturer wish to replicate these wagons as they were also commonly seen transiting the continent.

I have attached a link to a picture that I have found, however much important detail is obscured.

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/resu ... magepos=58

Many thanks

Chris
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Italian Refridgerated ferry wagons on the LNER

Post by Bill Bedford »

Chris Timony wrote:I have been asked to find clear pictures of Italian refridgerated ferry wagons of type Hgbp /Hgb (1931) That were commonly seen at Harwich and across the network (Cadbury's were a major customer) into the 1950's. Hermann, a German O Gauge manufacturer wish to replicate these wagons as they were also commonly seen transiting the continent.
Theres a clear photo in Larkins' 'Working Wagons' Vol 1
Chris Timony
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Chris Timony »

All that they wanted to check was the lettering of the LNER applied sign, located on the lower left hand side of the wagon which stated:

HIRED BY L.N.E.R
NOT IN COMMON USER
RETURN TO
HARWICH L.N.E.R.

Would the lettering be in Gill Sans font

I would understand that this is a little out of the durestriction of this board except that one of your contributors show a beautifully scratch built example of one (sadly unlettered). These wagons were quite prolific and would have congregated at Harwich for the distribution of fresh Italian fruit to markets and wholesalers. They must presumably run behind LNER locos across the ex Great Eastern network and beyond. They must have presented quite an unusual sight long before intermodals transformed international freight traffic.

Thanks

Chris
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

There is also a ferry van in the NRM that was hired to the LNER and has a similar plate attached to it. I have a photo somewhere of the van and the plate.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Chris,

You have a PM.

Jonathan
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Managed to scan my photos of the SNCF van in the NRM
Attachments
IMAGE1.JPG
IMAGE2.JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Theres a clear photo in Larkins' 'Working Wagons' Vol 1
Cheers for the heads up on that, Bill - another one for the collection and an interesting book all round. Available from your local library (seems to fetch ridiculous prices where avaiable for sale).