Oxford Rail J27

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Oxford Rail J27

Post by Kestrel »

markeg
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Oxford Rail J27

Post by markeg »

Rails and Gaugemaster also sent emails and Facebook posts.

Looks good and good to see some early progress.

Not a rivet counter, so will leave that to the experts.

Mark
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

It certainly captures the look of a J27, so that is a great start.

Paul.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well it looks like one to me, I see the 57A boilered version 0276J27003 BR65817 is non superheated.
To my limited knowledge all the locos look to be non superheated versions.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 pm Well it looks like one to me, I see the 57A boilered version 0276J27003 BR65817 is non superheated.
To my limited knowledge all the locos look to be non superheated versions.
They're probably not covering the superheated / ex-superheated versions for now.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

New photos here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-3741832

Not sure that the LNER version is correct with the large safety valve , plain Black livery would be post 1930 .

Model looks excellent either way !!
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Bunkerbarge »

To be honest they want to get their existing orders sorted out before they have the cheek to announce new models.

I am still waiting for my N7, which has now been on so called pre-order for over a year!
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Bunkerbarge wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:24 pm To be honest they want to get their existing orders sorted out before they have the cheek to announce new models.
Often said but it'll never happen; these outfits need to keep punters interested with what's to come. Personally it doesn't really bother me, I like to have stuff to look forward to and it's not like I don't have other things to keep me busy
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi Guys

just to let you know that my first Oxford Rail J27 has just arrived in York today, and will collect tomorrow.

Its the LNER locomotive that operated out of Newport Shed in Middlesbrough until 1939.

My mineral lines to the Cleveland Ironstone District now have a local to operate, in addition to the Hornby Q6s bound for Skinningrove Iron & Steel Works.

Hopefully the J26s will arrive in time for Christmas this year!

Kind regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Let us know your thoughts once you've had a chance to get it unpacked and see what it's like. I'd be interested to know, I've been thinking about ordering one for a while but I'm uncertain about Oxford, a good report card from someone who has one could seal the deal.

Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Like you Paul, keen to hear what the verdict is. Some comments (incl the RMWeb link) suggest maybe some incorrect features but all sound fairly minor. Having been convinced of the merits of 'Rule 1' (my bloody layout; I'll do what I want!) will probably still go ahead and get 1, maybe 2).

Graeme
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Four pre-group design 0-6-0 models for the LNER available RTR for OO, as many as GWR and LMS have combined. You would have been laughed at for suggesting that 20 years ago. And this is the first small wheeled 'mineral' 0-6-0 ever offered RTR for OO, and from the birthplace of the railway.

There will probably be something on it requiring the fun of modification, there always is; but if it is overall as good as the N7 that will be a good start.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The evidently much improved chimney, dome and safety valve cover in Hattons' new images of the production version of LNER 1010 caused a rush of blood to my head that almost had me placing an order, and if I wanted a J27 from the earlier batches, with saturated boiler, I might well have gone ahead.
The snag is, that although the dozen locos in question are something of an oddity, or at any rate represent little more than 10% of the whole class of 105 (or a smaller percentage still if you include the fifty very similar J26s), I can only persuade myself to want a model of one the locos that was in the Southern LNER area, long term, 1926-40. That means a superheated loco with a long smokebox, original NE dome, Ross pops on a raised base, and a shortened NE chimney. That combination doesn't appear to be on offer as any of the options at present, in fact a long smokebox as present on one third of the J27 class (until provision of superheated boilers was gradually discontinued after 1943) doesn't seem to be on offer at all. Whilst I know that I could make all of the necessary alterations if I wished, I don't currently feel inclined to add that particular project to my never-ending list of intentions. My PayPal funds are safe for the time being.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

There are 4 photos on the LNER Modellers page on Facebook.

It looks reasonable for the price, De Rails have it on offer at £86.00.

Some points from the photos.

The Loco Footplate has rivets running around the whole of the top edge. On checking my Dave Bradwell J27 build , that has none at all in that area.?

Cab windows are a very thick plastic moulding.

Cab interior is painted a bright Yellow shade !! , most odd. The interior otherwise looks well modeled.

The one in the photo had a Reversing lever that appeared to be either bent or warped.

Others elsewhere have commented on the skinny Tender Axleboxes , not obvious in those photos
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Looking at the photos on Hattons site the first thing that struck me was the skinny tender springs and axleboxes plus the thick rear section of coal rails.
It certainly looks from the photos that cab side windows have been made larger than what we initially thought they might be.
Agree about the cab interior colour but easily fixed with some paint provided the glazing can be easily removed.
The chimney does look to be better but after pawing through Yeadon last night I'm wondering if the top rim should be taller. There is a photo of 1010 as modelled by Oxford in Yeadon with the large safety valve trumpet.
Despite the fact that like Graeme I'd rather have a superheated model more suited to one that moved further south, I'm going to buy one as I plan to swap the tender with a 3 coal rail tender I have on a nice built w/m kit J21 I bought locally secondhand. The plastic tender looking to be far more suitable for some chopping up as I need a 2 coal rail tender for a J21 that went south. Might be able to get some replacement axleboxes.
I'll then see what I should do to make a J27 that's suitable for my area, not that that's an absolute imperative.
Andrew