felling station photo

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

hope
NER Y7 0-4-0T

felling station photo

Post by hope »

Hi everyone, I'm a new user looking for any photo's (or links to photo's) of the old victorian station which used to stand at felling, tyne & wear, opposite the brandling station, which was demolished around the late 60's (I think), this is for a new model rail project I'm working on at the moment, I can remember the station from my childhood days then it seemed to dissapear to make way for a small modern metro station, I would be grateful for any photo's, links or info, many thanks.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: felling station photo

Post by third-rail »

should be a picture, believe its grade 1 listed building and still extant
will look further when i get back in
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

you should be looking for brandling station
Attachments
fleming_004305.jpg
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Hope,

I have only one picture in my collection, but I don't know if this is the station you are looking for.
However, for all you others, as I was looking on the web to see if I could find any more I came across this amazing picture of the accident at Felling on 26th March, 1907. This is the best resolution I can get, but just look at the coaching stock!!! Tried to find any details on the Railways Archive site, but they have no documents. All I know is that were two fatalities.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
hope
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by hope »

Thanks for the response from everyone but the station I remember was opposite the Brandling station, access was from sunderland road down a dark covered ramp at the start of the footbridge, the station itself was larger than the brandling with covered platforms on both sides of the station building, waiting rooms, toilets & booking office.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

The accident was caused by buckled rails and a jobsworth signalman. The buckles were observed by a deaf and dumb man who managed to persuade a steam roller driver working nearby to come and look at the problem. The steam roller driver ran to the signalbox to tell the signalman to put the signals to danger but he refused to delay the trains. Moments later class R 4-4-0 725 with the 08.35 from Liverpool derailed killing 2 passengers and seriously injuring 6 others.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

The station still stands very much the same as in the submitted pic albeit a little more vandalised. It was bought a few years ago in an ill conceived scheme to turn it into a restaurant, a new hideous but functional footbridge to the Metro station now virtually hides the structure when approaching from the Newcastle direction.
A pic does exist of it in its hey day with the platforms and annexe buildings showing but I cannot remember where I have seen it.
The original stairs to the station footbridge was one of my spotting places in the 50s.
This whole area is up for regeneration which has started with the demolishing of the equally hideous Carlilse Street flats, the old John Pit remains will also disappear, I am not sure how this old building will fit into the scheme if at all as it surprisingly does not appear to be on Gatesheads listed buildings document.

http://online.gateshead.gov.uk/docushar ... ldings.doc
Attachments
brandling.jpg
brandling.jpg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 7733 times
MikeWilliams
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by MikeWilliams »

52A,
Do you know anything more about the accident? The carriages are LNWR lavatory stock, so was the NER loco on that train, or was another train involved?
Mike
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

MikeWilliams wrote:52A,
Do you know anything more about the accident? The carriages are LNWR lavatory stock, so was the NER loco on that train, or was another train involved?
It was a Liverpool-Newcastle, which ran with LNWR and NER stock on alternate days. There was also a similar L&Y/NER Liverpool-Newcastle train.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Accident at Felling 26/3/1907: The train was the 10.52am Leeds -Newcastle, a through train (08.35?)from Liverpool formed of LNWR stock. The facts of the accident are as related in the post by 52A.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Another one of the 1907 accident. Again, sorry about the quality.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.