Stations and places

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Stations and places

Post by 52A »

Yes I threw you a curve there. Pickled onions and crisps, now long gone. Ex works WD looks to be heading for Low Fell with empties down towards Bensham Curve.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

John William Hoggett, Hoggett's Foods. There are well founded claims that he invented the first flavoured crisp -vinegar- though, as always, there are rival claims from elsewhere. Reportedly died 1980 aged 69 years.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Bensham, Gateshead without a doubt. Hoggets moved to the then new industrial estate at East Gateshead but are now long demised.

The North-East has innumerable claims to fame. Every last Rolo is made in the region; Earl Grey tea originated here and it’s where John William Hoggett invented vinegar-flavoured crisps. John Lennon and Paul McCartney composed She Loves You in the Imperial Hotel in Jesmond, Newcastle – idiosyncratic features, perhaps, but positives nevertheless
source Newcastle Journal.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I remember once asking my father why it was called "model factory", only to be answered by my mother that it was " a model of all the food that was unhealthy and bad for you." This from a woman who used to let me eat fried bread covered in HP sauce for breakfast.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Fried bread covered in HP?Think i'll give that a go!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Ferrybridge Flyer wrote:Fried bread covered in HP?Think i'll give that a go!!
mmmmmm fried bread done in bacon dripping even better
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Malcolm wrote:Just for you Ferrybridge.

Malcolm
surprised nrm never claimed the crossing when it was removed for ecml electrification
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Malcolm wrote:Thanks Ferrybridge,

"The High Level Bridge and Newcastle Central Station. 150 Years across the Tyne" by John Addyman and Bill Fawcett.

It's the only railway book I have with me in Japan and I wouldn't part with it for the world.

Malcolm
Malcolm,

Thank you for these fantastic pictures and the book reference.

For those others who have been watching Malcolm's photographs of Newcastle Central and the High Level Bridge, you really need to look for a copy of this book. It is one of those publications that is nigh on impossible to put down. It is a goldmine of information, not just for the railway content, but other structures in Newcastle such as the Grainger Market.

John
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

I'm going to watch out for that book.Sounds a cracking read.Still haven't had that fried bread.It's only a matter of time!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by f4kphantom »

Hi Ferrybridge, PM sent,

John
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

f4kphantom wrote:

"The High Level Bridge and Newcastle Central Station. 150 Years across the Tyne" by John Addyman and Bill Fawcett.

It's the only railway book I have with me in Japan and I wouldn't part with it for the world.

Malcolm
Malcolm,

Thank you for these fantastic pictures and the book reference.

For those others who have been watching Malcolm's photographs of Newcastle Central and the High Level Bridge, you really need to look for a copy of this book. It is one of those publications that is nigh on impossible to put down. It is a goldmine of information, not just for the railway content, but other structures in Newcastle such as the Grainger Market.

John
John,

Thank you for that Kind Sir.
I got my copy from Amazon in Japan. Cost 3,212 yen AND IT'S STILL AVAILABLE. I don't know how that translates into pounds as I've lived here so long.

Malcolm
geoffshumba
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by geoffshumba »

Malcolm wrote:
f4kphantom wrote:

Malcolm
Can I add my thanks for all the wonderful photographs - and the book will be on my list as well.
Geoff
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

surprised nrm never claimed the crossing when it was removed for ecml electrification
I was under the impression that part of it had been claimed and until the last year or so it was stacked against the wall of the NRM in Network Rails welding school carpark.
Or am I mistaken?
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

I must confess to a lack of knowledge about certain things. The attached photo had me a little confused at first. LNWR Goods at Liverpool Street station? So I did a little digging, and after looking at the Railway Junctions diagram (also attached) and the history of the area, everything became clearer. I'm starting to realise that the pre-grouping situation of alliances, running powers, interweaving of routes, joint ventures, etc. was very complicated and convoluted. I have a few of the Railway Junction Diagrams and some them are a maze of connections, companies and lines.

Learn something new everyday.

Malcolm.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Take, for example, Leeds and Carlisle in pre-grouping days.

Malcolm