Cine film W B Greenfield?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

simon1356
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Cine film W B Greenfield?

Post by simon1356 »

A lot of years ago I was lucky enough to view the Photographic and Cine' collection of the late WB Greenfield' this would be around 1970-72. I often wonder what happend to the collection, I have a distant memory of him saying that the British Archives had copies of said film. Iremember they were superb and 1 showed the Silver Jubilee leaving Newcastle and entering Kings Cross.Over the years I have seen various photo's from his collection in various publications it would be nice to think the Cine' footage survived
Simon Hudson
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Cine film W B Greenfield?

Post by stembok »

simon1356: North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group (NELPG) with whom W B Greenfield was closely associated may be able to shed some light on this.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

stembok

Post by stembok »

Great photos by W B Greenfield on the NELPG site some, interestingly, taken after the outbreak of war in 1939 with, presumably, greater security and vigilance in operation, but WBG seems to have got away with quite a lot of observation, photography and recording during the war. The shot of the double Pacific departure from Newcastle was a favourite for photographers, with the Silver Jubilee and -I think - an express for Liverpool via the n. e. coast leaving at 10.00 am. It reminds me of the 4.00pm departures form K/X in the 1930s. If that A4 4491 is, as reported on the photo caption, "speeding" through Manors the driver should be called in and given a good ticking off at such a restricted spot. Only joking!
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

He was Major W B Greenfield so that may have had some bearing on the matter!
simon1356
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by simon1356 »

Lovely to see the link from 52A I have a christmas Card circa 1971 from WB entitled the 2 10 o'clocks it is really his cine' film collection I was wondering about I remember it was all 30's 40's and the films themselves were centre sprocket.He aslo had a lovely layout and if memeory serves me right the 2 temrini were called Kings Castle and Tyne Cross
stembok

Post by stembok »

The neatness of the P Way in the vicinity of the King Edward Bridge in the WBG photos is noticeable in some of the photographs, with bushes and concrete edgings to generally tidy up the place, an initiative ,I believe of the then civil engineer (Mr Mitchell?)to improve such areas. It was also very noticeable at York and the remains could still be seen
until at least the 1970s.