Coach Brown

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Coach Brown

Post by Bill Bedford »

Would anyone like to comment on the livery of these coaches?
http://stanier-jubilee.photos.gb.net/p57402946.html
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Coach Brown

Post by jwealleans »

Yes. It's hard to tell what it is.

But seriously, madam, it ought to be maroon.... if this is 1961, anything which wasn't worth repainting ought to have been scrapped and what survived should have been shopped since 1956 and ergo repainted. Are the second and third coaches blood and custard?

What service is this, Bill?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:Yes. It's hard to tell what it is.

But seriously, madam, it ought to be maroon.... if this is 1961, anything which wasn't worth repainting ought to have been scrapped and what survived should have been shopped since 1956 and ergo repainted. Are the second and third coaches blood and custard?
The waist lining for a maroon livery bisected the waist panels as did the lower edge of cream in the blood and custard livery. I can't see either of these.
What service is this, Bill?
Probably a Blackpool excursion. It's at Preston, has 'A' class lamps, and a reporting number on the loco front footplate. So I would guess these are summer only excursion stock.

The weather looks like summer too......
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I was looking at some maroon Gresley stock yesterday which didn't have the lining... let me see if I can find the photo.

Edit - Keith Pirt Steam Colour Portfolio, Eastern and North Eastern Regions. There are a number of shots - the one of 62785 on the Mildenhall branch was the one which stuck in my mind - showing maroon corridor Gresley stock where the lining is along or above the top beading, just under the window. On p 57 there's a good shot of a J36 at Fort William. Behind it are the rebuilt Beavertail, lined, then a Gresley composite with the lining where you (correctly) state it should be, Bill, then behind that another Gresley with either no lining at all or the lining placed just below the windows.

Maybe one for Robert Carroll as well, this.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Should be maroon. Paint on the LNER teak stock did not seem to wear at all well and one often saw rather scruffy stock, particularly blood and custard, One, in particular, I remember at York 1961 with large patches of bare wood visible. Also, by this time it would probably be second rate stock used at peak periods and stored at other times.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

If you enlarge this photo the coach ends are painted black. I would say this is pianted maroon and the colour of the negative has suffered over the years.
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

I'd agree that it looks like the fault of faded film stock not faded coaching stock. Agfa? Not enough magenta going on for kodak imho.