Where's this?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Where's this?

Post by Autocar Publicity »

The picture below is one of those we can use thanks to the Ken Hoole Study Centre, trouble is no-one is sure where it was taken. Any ideas? We think it dates from the early 1900s, which would suggest it is likely to have been round Teeside or the North Yorkshire coast.
ACR 009.jpg
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Where's this?

Post by Bryan »

Looks very much like Scarborough. Those roof trusses seem familiar.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Bryan wrote:Looks very much like Scarborough. Those roof trusses seem familiar.
did malton not have a similar arrangement of platform one only, and goods next door ???
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

It could be Malton, it has been some years since I passed through, but I do remember the platform being partially covered by an overall roof supported by pillars next to the platform line. Though there is a compartment coach on the line behind, where I remember there being a gap and there might have been goods facilities of some type or another. And we have no evidence to suggest either autocar worked out to Malton at any time - not that that's conclusive...

From what we know, Scarborough is more likely as a location. But other suggestions or corroboration welcome...

Thanks.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Autocar Publicity wrote:It could be Malton, it has been some years since I passed through, but I do remember the platform being partially covered by an overall roof supported by pillars next to the platform line. Though there is a compartment coach on the line behind, where I remember there being a gap and there might have been goods facilities of some type or another. And we have no evidence to suggest either autocar worked out to Malton at any time - not that that's conclusive...

From what we know, Scarborough is more likely as a location. But other suggestions or corroboration welcome...

Thanks.
it appears that it is a through platform ,and from what i can remember scarbough has an overall roof apart from being a terminus,dont know though what date scarbro roof went on,mind the car looks new so could on its way to scarbough fom york.having looked at the picture again as the passengers have all thier finery on,and there seems to be enough for a day trip maybe to scarbough or york ie a special
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I'm not so sure it's a through station. Those houses out back of the station look pretty close on, unless the line bends away sharply.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

giner wrote:I'm not so sure it's a through station. Those houses out back of the station look pretty close on, unless the line bends away sharply.
platform is built on a curve to the right ,i have at the back of my mind a thought there was another station built like malton.
i note that filey has roof like this also ,how more used the same architect??? which might lead to another line of enquiry.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Not Filey.
Double track with overall roof and no adjacent line.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just found the photo in David Williamsons book.
"A Portrait of the North Eastern Railway"
published by the North Eastern Railway Association ISBN 978-1-873513-58-3
page 53.
Caption states
" The NER introduced two petrol electric railcars in 1903 in an effoert to reduce running costs of some branch line services. They had matchboard panelling similar to the contemporary Tyneside electric stock. One car went into service on a summer Scarborough to Filey service on 8th August 1904.
The volume of traffic was too great for it in 1906 and 1907 so it was used instead, on a Forge valley service. The other car initially operated in the Hartlepool area.
The railcar stands in Platform 5 under the link roof inserted c1846-9 by Y&NM architect G.T. Andrews between his passenger station and goods shed. Though it is unlikely that the area saw passenger traffic at first, wooden platforms were provided in 1902 when a replacement goods shed was opened at the other side of Falsgrave tunnel."

I hope this answers the query?
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Bryan wrote:Just found the photo in David Williamsons book.
"A Portrait of the North Eastern Railway"
published by the North Eastern Railway Association ISBN 978-1-873513-58-3
page 53.
Caption states
" The NER introduced two petrol electric railcars in 1903 in an effoert to reduce running costs of some branch line services. They had matchboard panelling similar to the contemporary Tyneside electric stock. One car went into service on a summer Scarborough to Filey service on 8th August 1904.
The volume of traffic was too great for it in 1906 and 1907 so it was used instead, on a Forge valley service. The other car initially operated in the Hartlepool area.
The railcar stands in Platform 5 under the link roof inserted c1846-9 by Y&NM architect G.T. Andrews between his passenger station and goods shed. Though it is unlikely that the area saw passenger traffic at first, wooden platforms were provided in 1902 when a replacement goods shed was opened at the other side of Falsgrave tunnel."

I hope this answers the query?
here is a list of all g t andrews designed stations over 60 no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Townsend_Andrews
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Yes thankyou Bryan. One of our NERA members was sure he had seen the picture before, but could not place it. Good, precise reference, that's one more small piece of information for us. It's a little embarrassing to have to say you don't know where the picture was taken, even though it's around 105 years ago. And when there is a 'house style' or the same architect (GT Andrews) has designed quite a few stations nearby, it's useful to be able to ask people with either local knowledge or a better knowledge of stations than yourself.

One of the problems the autocars had was their limited capacity - 52 seats at this time - and they did seem caught in a perennial catch 22 situation: generate more traffic which couldn't be accommodated, revert to steam services, traffic falls away (in some cases), prompting calls for autocars again... When 3170 got its third engine and could haul an autocoach as a trailer, capacity more than doubled. (Which is why we plan to restore it with such an autocoach, courtesy of the NER coach group on the Moors). By then, the autocars were based at Selby with 3170 working the summer 1923 timetable round Harrogate - officially. We have material to suggest 3170 (and possibly 3171) did work elsewhere, but I'd hate to have to prove it...

Thanks for all the replies.