Newcastle Quayside Branch

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nickrail
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Newcastle Quayside Branch

Post by nickrail »

Hi
Does anyone have any photographs or maps showing the rail layout of the Newcastle Quayside branch railway? I'm looking at both ends ie Trafalgar Yard and the exchange sidings at the bottom. Any info welcomed.

Cheers
Nick
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Newcastle Quayside Branch

Post by third-rail »

nickrail wrote:Hi
Does anyone have any photographs or maps showing the rail layout of the Newcastle Quayside branch railway? I'm looking at both ends ie Trafalgar Yard and the exchange sidings at the bottom. Any info welcomed.

Cheers
Nick
have you seen malcolms pictures in the photo section re newport shildon,bottom yard appears to have three main sidings the point work in the fore ground lead out of the yard onto the extensive quayside network,the tracks went from under the tyne bridge past the ouse burn down to and past spillers warfe.in this area the tracks can still be seen on google
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

A fairly recent edition of Railway Bylines had a feature on the branch with maps i will check for you later. The same article also showed the route of Victoria Tunnel under the city.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
nickrail
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by nickrail »

Thanks guys for both those bits of info. Had a look at Malcolm's posted pics and they certainly help with the lower quayside end. Most of the photos of the top end seem to be taken from a similar vantage point to this one, ie. west of Argyle St bridge. I've yet to see one that shows the lines east of here, between Argyle St and where New Bridge St crosses the lines. I have seen a photo somewhere of the tunnel entrance on the quayside. I'm now looking for diagrams or a map to show the rail layout at top and bottom ends. It's for a possible model project...when I have time.

If anyone knows which issue the line was featured in Bylines, I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Nick
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bylines Vol 11 issue 10 title Newcastle Quayside
Ive just realised that the alignments of the Quayside branch and Victoria tunnels cross at the lower end were there any subsidence problems with this happening.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
nickrail
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by nickrail »

Hi
Don't know about any subsidence issues. If the line descended in a curve it must have been pretty steep. I made amistake in my last post as the photo in Malcolms collection of trafalgar Yd is just below New Bridge St bridge - not Argyle St. I'm curious as to how the line descended at that point. Not surew there's much left now. I live in northeast so may take a walk and see if I can trace anything. Let you know if I find any subsidence...I'll yell as I fall through!

Thanks
Nick
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

If you cant find Bylines edition send me a pm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Hi there, Nick,

I have maps of the yards and lines, and copies of the articles in questions.
PM me.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Alex Duckworth
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Alex Duckworth »

This is my first post to the forum, although I have been a member since 2010. I am partway through building a 2mmFS model of the ES1 and would like to make a diorama, or perhaps a small layout to run it on. I have the Hoole book and the two issues of Bylines featuring the Quayside branch but I would be very interested in any further info or photos that would assist with the model.

Alex Duckworth.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

If you are local to Newcastle and you can visit the Local Studies section of the central library they have 25 inch OS maps from the 1940's which give you detailed plans of the track layout. If you search Flickr for Argyle Street I have the full signal diagram for the box.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

Because it was relatively shallow, the route of the tunnel is shown clearly on the Ordnance Survey maps of the day and therefore as Pinza says worth checking out in the library.

I'm out of the office right now without access to my own maps, but essentially it descended, or rather sank into the ground at the east end of Trafalgar Yard into what was known as the Red Barns tunnel, the actual entrance to which was therefore below mean ground level. It then described a semi-circle under the bank, part of which was in an open cutting, now infilled but easily identified as its just grassed over rather than built upon.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Which issues of bylines feature the branch? Also, does anything survive of the branch that's visible in the area today? (aside from Number 1 at Shildon!). I only visited Newcastle for the first time since a child just a few weeks ago but didn't get the chance to visit the Quayside
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

Just the tunnel portal still remains, though the tunnel is filled in. I'm not sure there are any remnants left at the Quayside end thanks to the complete redevelopment of the area in the last 20 years.

Jon
lippy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by lippy »

Rlangham wrote:Which issues of bylines feature the branch? Also, does anything survive of the branch that's visible in the area today? (aside from Number 1 at Shildon!). I only visited Newcastle for the first time since a child just a few weeks ago but didn't get the chance to visit the Quayside
I have a copy of Bylines at the Blyth and Tyne club along with an EM gauge layout of Trafalgar Yard I acquired last year.

If your near North Shields you are welcome to come and see the layout but is not up and running as it needs work on the electrics.

PM me if your interested

Lee
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

Took many photos of Quayside branch in 1992 (and all the surrounding area )when much still in situ and I was also involved in filling up the end of the tunnel .

See flickr thread -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoaler/ ... 896656199/

00000001b.JPG