Deltic Photos?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Deltic Photos?

Post by giner »

Re. the posts above about chilly footplates, etc. I wonder how it was on some of the more open cabs like Ivatt Atlantics or some of the sparsely roofed GW locos of old.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

It was no wonder that footplatemen were a tough breed .I remember a Skipton man telling me of working over the Settle & Carlisle with snow flakes blowing horizontally through the cab up in the fells. Of the pre-grouping railways the NER must have had some of the best cab protection, though on engines such as the J27s the low tender front meant you still got it if working tender first. On the Blyth and Tyne workings in bad weather the J27s would pass Central Station, Newcastle with a sheet from cab roof to tender and a piece of wood wedged in the space beteen engine and tender. Better than nothing, as long as the sheet didn't blow away!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I recently made a visit to the Alberta Railway Museum here in Edmonton and was surprised to see how open a cab was on one of the locos. Nothing as skimpy as on the UK types I mentioned, but when you consider the kind of winter temperatures we endure here (think minus 40C, and lower still when windchill is involved), you'd have thought that Canadian loco cabs would have been totally enclosed. Yikes!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Steam powered submarines?
Steam powered submarines?
Yes full title K Boats Steam Powered Submarines of WW1

Just a couple of slight design faults, like what happens when water comes down the chimney.
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

OK I sit corrected about footplates and I accept that. I still think though that you couldn't beat a well stoked pot-belly stove in an Eastern Region van for warmth. Give me one of those on a P-Way job anytime!

Keith
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

And a det to clear the chimney!
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

52A wrote:And a det to clear the chimney!

' The guard is the man who sits in the van...' - you know the rest....

No offence intended to guards, past or present (known as YC in LMS/LMR code, still used in my time - XC being loco - thought I'd throw that gem in!)
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

52A wrote:And a det to clear the chimney!
Guilty as charged, M'Lud.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

Never suffered that fate but saw plenty of people that had!

Keith
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The Deltics were the logical extension of the LNER high speed policy which saw the development of the A3s and A4s.They were the pinnacle of British diesel engineering ; 3.300 horsepower, a roaring super machine. Lower your voice when you speak of them. :wink:
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Couldn't agree more.When i started spotting as a lad,Deltics were the A4's of the rails.I still love them to this day.Just wish i had seen them all.Sadly,the diesel gala at Barrow Hill starts the day i go on holiday-how's that for bad planning!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well Ferrybridge i managed to see all of them the hardest one to see was D9015 Tulyar, I think she must of been in the works when i started spotting. I finally copped her on an up express through Alnmouth circa 1966.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

A special moment when you got that,i'm sure.55002 KOYLI was my favourite,as that regiment used to be based in Pontefract barracks,so when it was saved i was chuffed.I cabbed said loco at the Knottingley depot open day,1981 i think it was.Happy days!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Possibly my favourite Deltic moment - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3491861291/ :P
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

All Deltic moments are favourite moments!

Keith