Excellent Historical Photos

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Excellent Historical Photos

Post by 60041 »

I have just found this site: http://andycarr.net/index.htm -there are some really superb LNER and BR photos there, its well worth a couple of hours of your time!
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

61070 wrote:
Malcolm - do you know where the photo of 2752 was taken? I saw (and photographed) Tornado from a road overbridge at Swayfield (nr. Corby Glen) a couple of months ago and the location looks quite similar. Would there have been four tracks there in 1929?
Sorry, don't know for sure. I would love to find out, but every time I put a "Where is this?" question on here, it starts a great debate.
I've looked again at the two photos and am attaching my recent photo to see what you think about the location. The vegetation today makes it difficult, and the cutting side on the right looks slightly too deep in the modern picture compared with the historic one, but if you travelled a hundred yards or so south, to a point where the cutting is shallower, and climbed a signal post, which could have been there in the '20s, you might just be in the same spot???
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

At the risk of offending some people, I think these boards are getting a little stale, what with all this talk of NXEC, or barriers at York, or which place has a station and which place hasn't......and diesels (need to wash my mouth out now). To liven things up a bit here are a few historical pictures. (By the way I should mention that I do love all the stuff on the modellers thread.....great!).

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

And one not quite LNER. Forgive my ignorance, but I have always wondered what the function of those cabins on the front of the smokeboxes of locos being tested were for. I have seen a few old photos of NER and LNER locos with these large "cabins" on the front of the loco, and the dynometer car behind the loco. Now I know. Some poor guys actually had to ride in them. This photo was sent to me showing said unfortunates (with googles and helmets) about to embark on such a test leaving Waterloo. Interesting picture, so I thought I'd include it here.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Malcolm et al for further references to your Soham photograph go here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1877&p=11910&hilit=Soham#p11910

Thanks 52D

BTW the wooden cabins in front of locos were INDICATOR SHELTERS.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

The front end cabinets were the best seats in the house and also I imagine ever so slightly terrifying..... Great pictures Malcolm as always.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Just for the hell of it, I'd have loved to be up there in a Biggles get-up.

In your 'buffers' pic, doesn't it look like the vertical alignment is a bit off between the loco and station buffers? And would that bloke be allowed to stand in that position between the buffers these days? Cool pics, Malcolm.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

giner wrote:Just for the hell of it, I'd have loved to be up there in a Biggles get-up.

In your 'buffers' pic, doesn't it look like the vertical alignment is a bit off between the loco and station buffers? And would that bloke be allowed to stand in that position between the buffers these days? Cool pics, Malcolm.
think you will find he is standing between the two set of buffers,when were the hydralic buffers removed from the cross, ? probably when they took that nice portico away from the front
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Indeed, he is between sets of buffers - I've got to get more beans in my coffee in the mornings.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I bought some photos from a dealer a few years ago and this one shows a Fletcher 2-4-0 No 1444 standing outside Durham East signalbox.It seems to have been cut from a magazine and pasted onto card a long time ago, like a scrapbook.
Attachments
Fletcher 1444 at Durham East  Signalbox.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Malcolm wrote:At the risk of offending some people, I think these boards are getting a little stale, what with all this talk of NXEC, or barriers at York, or which place has a station and which place hasn't......and diesels (need to wash my mouth out now). To liven things up a bit here are a few historical pictures. (By the way I should mention that I do love all the stuff on the modellers thread.....great!).

Malcolm
I am new to this form, but not to a certain other rail-related one, and certainly not to 'the business'.
Already found several groups of excellent photos from you, Malcolm, herein. Many thanks.
Re the photo : "A3 2595 Trigo passing Wood Green..jpg" in the Aug. 05th, 2009 post, I think this is actually approaching Finsbury Park on the Down Fast : The signals on the right then 'fit', being Fins.Park No.3's homes for the DF (1), and Down Slow No.1 line (3 arms), both with distant arms below for No.5 box. This would then make the buffer stop on the left as one of those at the extreme north end of East Goods Yard, and in the left distance, FP No.4 box's Up Canonbury line starting signal with No.1's distant under it.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Sir, you are totally correct, it is Finsbury Pk, if it was Wood Green, it would be on the down slow. :wink:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jingling Geordie »

Watto all,

Nothing to add but this is yet another fascinating thread,

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Been meaning to give a little more info on Pinzas pic above. It shows a 1440 class 2-4-0 with 24 inch cylinders and 6 foot driving wheels. Some survived to become LNER property. Last two withdrawn Feb 1925 No220 from Tweedmouth & No1443 from Sunderland.
The locos were similar to the better known 901 class but with smaller driving wheels.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Sorry Malcolm,no more talk of ticket barriers from me!It was just something that got my dander up at the time.Pretty sobering photo of the mess at Soham-what bravery that crew showed that night.The photo of Scotsman at the cross,that fellow W Whitelaw-is he related to William Whitelaw,one of Maggie Thatchers "vegetables"(copyright Spitting Image)?
Bring back Ferrybridge station!