West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: On my Workbench - before the Grouping.

Post by jwealleans »

Well, after I've avoided being trampled in the rush to reply, Bill... As far as I know there are no GC bogies available. Dan Pinnock used to do the 10'6" one, which would cover the Barnum and matchboard types you do and he also did the Parker one. Allen Doherty lists body etches for a set of those. I think Chris Parrish used to list an 8' bogie which came fro the clerestory kits he offered.

I'd be up for the 10'6" version and the Parker as a second choice. It might be worth seeing what interest there is from the GC Society as well.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

jwealleans wrote:Well, after I've avoided being trampled in the rush to reply, Bill...
As you may have notices I've started to do wagon axleboxes & buffers as 3D prints. So over time I should be able to add bogie side frames to that range. I am likely to set it up so that these parts can be orded direct from the manufacturers.
Hucknall Central
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Hucknall Central »

Bill,
Reference GC bogies, I would have a need for a dozen pairs if they came to fruition, please.
Also, what is the availability of your coach (one-piece) couplings?
Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I've started to do wagon axleboxes & buffers as 3D prints
Is that how the axlebox/springs in the wagon kit I received last week were done?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Sorry, I read Bill's offer last night but was too weary to reply!

Forgive me for sounding like the skinflint I am, but providing the bogies (or just sideframes) were reasonably inexpensive and easy to assemble and were an accurate representation both in terms of portrayal of features AND in terms of height so as not to create fitting problems (I believe the Chris P / Perseverence ones were too tall and had to be cut down to allow correct coach ride height and some freedom to move on curves), then I'd be interested initially in say four or so 10'6" bogies and six or more of the 8' Edwardian (1904 - 1907ish?) clerestory/suburban type.

I seem to remember that there may be slight complications with the 8' variety. At a glance some of the original London extension stock (much of it contractor built) rides on the same bogies but I recall seeing differences in photos, such as in the kind of transverse spring employed.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Hucknall Central wrote:Bill,
Reference GC bogies, I would have a need for a dozen pairs if they came to fruition, please.
OK then, they will be some time before Christmas.
Also, what is the availability of your coach (one-piece) couplings?
Available from Barrie Stevenson in Chesterfield
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Sorry, I read Bill's offer last night but was too weary to reply!

Forgive me for sounding like the skinflint I am, but providing the bogies (or just sideframes) were reasonably inexpensive and easy to assemble and were an accurate representation both in terms of portrayal of features AND in terms of height so as not to create fitting problems (I believe the Chris P / Perseverence ones were too tall and had to be cut down to allow correct coach ride height and some freedom to move on curves), then I'd be interested initially in say four or so 10'6" bogies and six or more of the 8' Edwardian (1904 - 1907ish?) clerestory/suburban type.
I already do a range of bogie centres http://www.mousa.uk.com/Cat/OLCat4/bogies.html which will give the correct height and are extremely free running. Over the next few months I'm going to tackle the 'castings' for the kits I already produce.
I seem to remember that there may be slight complications with the 8' variety. At a glance some of the original London extension stock (much of it contractor built) rides on the same bogies but I recall seeing differences in photos, such as in the kind of transverse spring employed.
The original 50' coaches had leaf bolster springs, at some stage these were replace by coils. I suspect that, after the grouping at least, bogies were swapped around and either type could appear under any coach.
Last edited by Bill Bedford on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Hi,

re: matchboard Robinson carriages again- these pictures are from the period you are interested in, and shows the direction of grain quite well. There is an understanbly quite marked difference from the carriages' finish from pictures taken in their flush of youth!

Will
Attachments
EngGCRR05127.jpg
EngGCRR05283.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Well, nearly three weeks of progress to catch up on. The camera was away on holiday for part of that, though. The initial two coaches are well on the way with just some details and fettling before I glaze them. I had the Bob Moore out this lunchtime and I'm quite pleased. Interiors are almost complete as well. Here they're just put together for the camera.

The clerestory needs a fair bit of filling and fiddling to make it fit gaplessly. I'm waiting for some Southern Pride seats for the first class section of this coach.

I'm not sure what (if any) lining was applied to these GC coaches by the LNER. The rainstrip looks a bit heavy too.

I had a trip away for work a couple of weeks ago and I like to take a plastic project with me for working in hotel rooms - apart from the practicalities of lugging a soldering iron, I'm always bothered about setting off the fire alarm. I've had an ECJS conversion from some Kirk sides in the to do box for about a year, so I cracked into that rather than idle away an evening or two. Here it is. It's a cut and shut from three sides of Kirk kit 8846 (I think) - whatever it is it's the only one with a set of three large windows together which is what makes this coach distinctive. It's an all 3rd to diagram 34.

The end lights were boarded up during the 1920s. The Evergreen strip was a bit thick compared to the original beading but the paint has toned it down a little.

Finally something I'll pick up and crack on with after the coaches; a pair of ex-ROD ferry vans. These stalled while I made up the very unusual W irons, which I did using MJT ones with some scrap fret. I've done the first pair, so the second one shouldn't take too long.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

My computer has been very odd today,can't pick up these images!Frustrating!I've done Falcon Barnums and have a few matchboards to do eventually,they do take that bit of extra work-Wills photos are useful too,will check back when computer returns to normal!
Rob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Evening JW: Further to your doubts about lining on ex-GC matchboard coaches, I've been hoping for several years, so far in vain, to see definite photographic evidence to confirm or refute even the presence of "3's" on the doors of Barnum coaches in the 1930's :(.

PS No prizes for guessing, but I'm all in favour of that ECJS third arrived at by "cut and shut". Excellent cost-conscious use of what you've already got :D .
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Thanks, Graeme - I confess I did think of you as I was chopping away. The other two sides (they would only sell me them as pairs) will make up some sort of non-corridor vehicle in due course and eventually I'll have enough bits of sides to make another coach in the manner of Ian Kirk's current 7mm offerings.

WRT the Barnums, I'd have thought they were distinctive enough not to need any class markings, being all-3rd. The Tourist stock was never so marked either, presumably for the same reason.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It seems as if there's been a long posting hiatus. There has been progress with a few projects recently but nothing I thought was worth posting. Reinvigorated by a visit to Hull Show, however, I thought I'd put some of it up here to remind anyone reading that I am still active. Just.

Thanks to EdgeHill8A's thread (and all those who contributed) these coaches are now pretty well complete. I picked up a pack of Preiser figures at Hull and they'll be riding in style sometime fairly soon. Thanks also to Atlantic3279 for the GC crests in the lav windows.

This GWR fish van is now done and I have another matching one to give the same treatment to. We did eventually manage to get Bill's springing units to derail but we had to go awfully fast to do it.

Finally most of my modelling time has been spent on this, with which I'm mighty pleased. These were the first ferry vans I came across when I started researching and I've just had a yen to have some since then. You know how some vehicles just appeal? There's another on the stocks and perhaps more to follow.

My thanks to Andy York for allowing me to use Keyhaven Quay to photograph it at Hull and then keeping it on display for most of the day. My camera was about to expire when I took this - I'll replace it with one of Andy's eventually as they'll undoubtedly be much better.

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I too went to Hull but cannot say that I was reinvigorated by it! I'd hoped to be impressed by the work in progress on Botanic Gardens, but there was very little to see so far for the no doubt considerable amount of effort that has gone into this finescale (and therefore painfully slow in my view) project, but good luck to the builders....
I also failed to get the one basic thing I wanted from the trade side of the show.
The only real "success" was at last getting a close look at the Bachmann O4 in its cabinet, rather than ten feet away on trial running on a layout. Nice, but flawed by a totally un-necessary (though thankfully not grossly obvious) lump of gearbox sticking out under the boiler, and by too much of a radius on the top front corners of the frames just in front of the smokebox. I think the frames should should be very angular.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I was reinvigorated by going to the show - it didn't have the exceptional layout it has had for the last few years (Wibdenshaw, Crumley, Rowlands Castle) - but the standard is always good. Graeme - we must co-ordinate better as we've almost crossed on successive weekends now (I was operating a friend's 7mm layout at Leeds last weekend). I almost always make the trip to Hull as I know a number of the members down there.

I had a look at the O4 and thought it was as good as my NuCast version, but clearly a preproduction sample and so perhaps not to be taken entirely as gospel. I didn't have a drawing/picture on me (I wasn't expecting to see it) and I'm admittedly not as fastidious as Graeme.

I understand the LSWR had some just after the Great War; does anyone have any livery details for those? They'd be spot in the time frame for our Corfe layout at Ormesby.