Not what it seems

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Not what it seems

Post by 52D »

Taking a quick look at the picture below you will probably think that J27 2340 is passing through Newcastle Central with a J94 shunting LMS trucks in the background. After all the J27 is carrying its 1923 number so that puts it as pre 1946. Its feasibile but the J94s were usually further south with shunting at Central being done by indigenous J72s.
I have a date for the picture of 25th August 1937 so that rules out a J94. The explanation i think is a Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn industrial being delivered for shipping or to a local customer there is a further fly in the ointment i thought RS&H had transferred production to Darlington before this date. In the best traditions of the forum i await comments.
Attachments
2340.JPG
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Not what it seems

Post by Flamingo »

To me it looks as if the saddle tank is on a different track to the LMS truck. Might even be a Hawthorn Leslie engine, when did they stop building?
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Looks like a Hawthorn Leslie ST compare the smokebox frame to this pic.

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p41423098.html
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I hadnt thought of Hawthorn Leslie but when you click on the pic you can just about make out the outside cylinder and the paint work looks pristine. Which lead me to believe a delivery trip perhaps.
The loco in redtoons link has a distinct Scottish (NBR) flavour to it with those smokebox wing plates.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.