Historical North Eastern

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Historical North Eastern

Post by Malcolm »

Some really old ones.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Historical North Eastern

Post by third-rail »

nice pictures again malcolm, but i think that the date given for the tyneside electric composite should be 1915 as it has in common with the 1920 replacement stock a combined destination sign with built in marker lights. also the car in the backgound looks like one of the original with no vents above the windows but seperate marker lights independent of the destination sign ,there was also a batch of stock built in 1909.
see this web site

http://www.northumbrian-railways.co.uk/ ... -electrics

4 of the pics here are mine

any more tyneside electrics pictures eg the controlled sets ,the parambulator van???
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Hi Malcolm,

As ever, some interesting pictures, the Shildon pic looks really old.

Any idea of the location of the lorry? I notice that it has an East Yorkshire (BT) number plate. Unless York used BT in those days.
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

I am sure that the NER registered the vast majority of its road vehicles in the East Riding at Beverley hence the East Riding number plate.

Graham
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ginx's Babies as a class were named after a then current theatrical play or book can any one shed more light. Similarily in roughly the same time period the NER had a class of locomotives nicknamed Waterburys after a cheap (American?) watch.
Also the pic of 215 at Shildon if you look closely at the crane to the rear of the loco do you think it has a timber jib. It was a fairly common occurence for Derricks of this period to have a timber jib perhaps the expert that commented on the Elswick accident breakdown cranes can help here.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

52D wrote:Ginx's Babies as a class were named after a then current theatrical play or book can any one shed more light. Similarily in roughly the same time period the NER had a class of locomotives nicknamed Waterburys after a cheap (American?) watch.
Also the pic of 215 at Shildon if you look closely at the crane to the rear of the loco do you think it has a timber jib. It was a fairly common occurence for Derricks of this period to have a timber jib perhaps the expert that commented on the Elswick accident breakdown cranes can help here.
Some more "Ginx's Babies", the 'Redheugh Banker', a "Gamecock", and.......Aerolite in a form many of you may never have seen.

Malcolm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

And some rare shots of atlantics and compounds.

Malcolm
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Excellent pictures. I wish someone would do a kit of Aerolite :!: :!:

Mick
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Whilst browsing the Manning & Wardle history I came across two engines built for the NER as incline engines they look fairly similar to Malcolms picture of an incline engine above but have an unequal wheel spacing with an 0-6-0 arrangement I wonder if Gateshead copied the major part of the design from the original M & W. (NER 518 & 519).
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

52D wrote:Whilst browsing the Manning & Wardle history I came across two engines built for the NER as incline engines they look fairly similar to Malcolms picture of an incline engine above but have an unequal wheel spacing with an 0-6-0 arrangement I wonder if Gateshead copied the major part of the design from the original M & W. (NER 518 & 519).
Got pictures of those engines. Will post later.

Malcolm
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Made a mistake (a lot of those just recently). Only one picture of a Manning Wardle.
However, here it is along with another NER tank and a "Waterbury".

Sorry about the quality of the scans (you'll have to click on the photos) as the scanner doesn't seem to like some of my postcards.

Malcolm
B4411
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by B4411 »

From what I can see of it, the crane looks very typical of its time. The steam "accident crane" did not exist at all prior to the 1860s and at the time the photo was take was very much in its infancy, and most accident work would be undertaken with hand cranes.

The crane certainly has a wooden jib which appears to be non-luffing (again normal for the time), and the moveable ballast box (which runs on rollers on a rear extension of the rotating upper part) can be seen. It looks as though there are two speeds for hand cranking given the two different sized spur gears which are clearly visible. I would imagine that the lifting capacity would be between 5 and 12 tons, most probably at the lower end of that range.
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Thanks for all the photos Malcolm,a proper ongoing history lesson for us appreciative young 'uns!! :)
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Note S&DR Bouch long boiler 0-6-0 No214 has a wheel arrangement with spacing of the wheels being irregular does the loco above No215 have the same type of wheel arrangement.
Indeed is it of the same class.
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Here is my Swansong so to speak. A trip up North for family reasons turned up the following pictures. Unfortunately, only the Tyneside electric and the Reid-Macleod have dates. The Nidd Valley Light Railway one is very interesting as it shows the Nidd Valley Light Railway passenger services between Pateley Bridge and Lofthouse. Ex GWR steam railcar 'Hill' approaches Wath.

Malcolm