Historical North Eastern

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Historical North Eastern

Post by Malcolm »

Swansong 2

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Very nice pictures again Malcolm.

Is the electric train maybe arriving at Newcastle, not leaving? - because the only signal on the splendid gantry that's in the 'off' position appears to relate to the line the train is on, and it seems to be showing a route into platform 6. Both the train and the conductor rails appear to be brand new.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Malcolm
I hope the reference to this being your swansong only refers to this topic and doesn't have any deeper meaning.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Great pics Malcolm, especially the Redheugh banker, I walked up of what remains of the Redheugh incline last week into what remains of Gateshead M.P.D. My quest to have blue plaques erected on Sir Vincent Ravens house and the former railway literary society building fell on deaf ears with Gateshead Council, they would rather erect public art ? which has no local meaning, one only has to look on the abutment of the old Redheugh bridge to see what I mean, a hideous Gormly creation..
On the subject of historical North East, Tyne Dock which was once a very important revenue earner for the N.E.R. & L.N.E.R. as well as being their outdoor photographic studio is to be finally completely filled in by a very unusual engineering process, the new Tyne Tunnel is being excavated across the river and a tube which will be the new tunnel will be lowered into the excavation on the river bed, the spoil from this excavation is to be piped down river and used as fill for the old dock, an ingenious solution for millions of tons of spoil.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Redtoon do you have any links to the excavation work i would be interested in a read.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks Redtoon it was 52D not Malcolm. All we need now is the Newcastle avoiding line and Leamside reopening.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

My apologies 52D, senior moment.

I had a walk up the Leamside from Pelaw to Washington the other day, amazing how fast the trees have grown between the tracks which have not been lifted apart from the stretch the thieves pinched so there may be hope. There was talk awhile ago about reopening the line but given the current turmoil in the rail industry cant see it happening for a while.