NER SNOWPLOUGHS

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

NER SNOWPLOUGHS

Post by Bryan »

I was passed a copy of this photo of ploughs 18 and 20 stabled at Waskerley.
Both ploughs survive 18 (which I Own) normally resident at Pickering on the NYMR and 20 in the reserve collection at Beamish.
The only thing I am puzzled about is the wording on both ploughs in very small lettering between the number and the door.
Can anyone enlighten me if there was any special instructions about working the Waskerley line that did not apply anywhere else?
I have not seen this lettering evident on any other photo taken elsewhere.

Last weekend 18 was in pieces at Shildon awaiting the completion of the new hardwood underframe and then it can be reunited with its body.
Attachments
Snowplough 18-20 waskerley2.jpg
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: NER SNOWPLOUGHS

Post by Autocar Publicity »

I'm afraid I can't offer any (sensible) comments about the lettering, but I was at the Keighley MRC last week and took some photos, including these two of snowploughs. Apologies for the different lighting, I was experimenting with the menus on my cameras.
A4135 R.jpg
N 248 R.jpg
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Looking at the attached photos.
Number 2 + 6 are to the same design yet note the difference with the cab doors, Why?
Was 2 the plough in the Annitsford accident or was it 6 both could be candidates as build date would cover either.

As to the model 6 versus the real one.
Rear steps should be curved not straight.
Axlebox doors appear too prominent to me.
On the other plough 14
The plough steelwork stands out, did it look like that in reality?

As for my 12 inch to the foot version, the body was reunited with the chassis on thursday.
So progress is being made, hopefully the plough slope will be completed by February.
Attachments
2(82510) + 6(82511)
2(82510) + 6(82511)
6 at Scarborough
6 at Scarborough
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Pity your 12 inches to the foot version isnt ready we might need it tonight.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

There is a covering of about 3 inches here in Hertfordshire. I don't think it would trouble the plough and besides there are no trains running.. BBC news reported that there was an emergency timetable in place on some lines before it started snowing..
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Boys doing mens jobs.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Where I will be for Christmas has already had two feet of snow!
So not handling a few inches is a bit of a joke.

The owner of the cabins reckon we'll have no problem with our smallish car (not as winter capable as the Landy I used to take into the Lake District for New Year's and which handled all the passes with ease).

There's little standard gauge in the area (northern New Mexico), but we won't be far from the Cumbres & Toltec. By all accounts it will be closed for winter (and we'll have a dog with us), but I think they do have a working rotary snow plough (plow in this case lol!).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I will let you off with that spelling Richard.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Can anyone Identify the location of this British Railways credited photo.
Even though the date I have been given is 1946.
I believe it is 2 Q6s doing the honours. (not very hot on loco ID)
The only thing I am puzzled about is the wording on both ploughs in very small lettering between the number and the door.
Can anyone enlighten me if there was any special instructions about working the Waskerley line that did not apply anywhere else?
I have since solved the question I posed a few weeks ago.
The wording read
"This plough must not be worked through Shildon Tunnel unless arrangements are made with the signalman for the opposite line to be blocked"
Attachments
British Railways Photo 1946 2 x Q6
British Railways Photo 1946 2 x Q6
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

I have since solved the question I posed a few weeks ago.
The wording read
"This plough must not be worked through Shildon Tunnel unless arrangements are made with the signalman for the opposite line to be blocked"[/quote]

"I wouldn't think there was much call of ploughing in tunnels".......Joking aside, anyone know the reason for blocking the opposite line?

Andy
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Shildon tunnel had restricted clearances, amongst the restrictions listed in the 1947 Sectional Appendix were...No engine or train of any description may enter the tunnel at either end when the tunnel is occupied by:- a) A train composed of coaching stock. b) Freight train with side ducket van except in the case of vans lettered "No restriction through Shildon Tunnel". c) A train conveying snow ploughs. d) An engineers ballast train.

In later years the line through the tunnel was singled.