Building a Garden Railway in O Gauge_Pt2- The Rockery

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Building a Garden Railway in O Gauge_Pt2- The Rockery

Post by GeoffB »

Hi All,

To continue - this is a bit about the rockery section. The rockery came about due to a large wall being nocked out of the workshop - the rubble had to go somewhere - build a rockery on it! And the fact that the 5" GL line - I wanted a wooden bridge - so a pond had to be dug - the soil for the rockery!!

The O Gauge line had to be moved to accomodate the 5" line so where better to take it thatn across the rockery to be?

The Piccies show some of the stages in the construction of the line across the rocks. The last pics were shot today - the under arches have still to be put in place, but I am giving the cement a week to get up to a decent strength before I put them in place (cementious material takes 28 days to achieve a maximum strength, apparently!).

Next stop - the bridges! The one for the waterfall area is about half finished at present.

More later.

GeoffB
Attachments
The wall tops are finished - next stop - the arches
The wall tops are finished - next stop - the arches
WallTops_Finished_DSCF3118.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
West end arches
West end arches
WestEndArches_DSCF4495.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
South End arch - this is shaped to accept a low span bridge from the end nearest the camera
South End arch - this is shaped to accept a low span bridge from the end nearest the camera
SouthEndArch_DSCF4488.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
View from the West end
View from the West end
ViewFromWestEnd_DSCF4499.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 4504 times
View from South end of the curve
View from South end of the curve
ViewFromSouthEnd_DSCF4502.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

The earlier views in the construction.

GeoffB
Attachments
Close up of the fitting of the boards
Close up of the fitting of the boards
Rockery_ClsUp_bsboards-dscf.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
General view of the fitted baseboards
General view of the fitted baseboards
Rockery_bsboards_fitted-dsc.jpg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
The rockery with all baseboards fitted ready for the wall tops and arches to be added. Note 5" on the wooden bridge in foreground
The rockery with all baseboards fitted ready for the wall tops and arches to be added. Note 5" on the wooden bridge in foreground
Rockery_allboards_fitted-ds.jpg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
The cast wall tops
The cast wall tops
WallTops_DSCF4306.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
The wall tops jigged in place whilst cementing
The wall tops jigged in place whilst cementing
WallTops_Assy_with_Jigs_DSC.jpg (81.26 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

An exercise in civil engineering in miniature!
The concrete bases have been constructed complete with the baseboard supports and drainage ready for the fitting of the boards. The waterfall and the rockery have yet to be added after all the bricks have been "sifted" out of the soil!

Still very much a builder's tip!

GeoffB
Attachments
Bases ready to accept the baseboards.
Bases ready to accept the baseboards.
Rockery-Start-dscf1982.jpg (90.76 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Good progress!

What were the baseboards made of?

Cement curing times: Yep, that's why with skyscrapers, they'll keep the wooden bracing in place for a few floors after the shuttering and pouring has been done.
A few years back, New Scientist had a pie-in-the-sky feature article about using magnesium-rich cement and concretes as carbon dioxide sinks. I think they said it would still be curing and taking CO2 from the atmosphere after two years! I don't think the quantities worked out (how much concrete would you have to lay to make a dent in atmospheric CO2?) and I have never heard anything since.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GeoffB
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by GeoffB »

Hi Richard,

The baseboards are made from 18mm ply covered with roofing felt. I use OSD most times as it is quite stable and as it is not in layers, it doesn't part plys - and it is half the price!.

A quick guide to this in case anyone is interested in starting a garden layout. If you've done it, then, sorry - not trying to teach "sucking eggs"! Just giving another approach to the idea.

The boards are cut to size and shape, then the edges are rounded off (with a router) both sides to give a complete roll edge which allows the roofing felt (coarse grit type) to be rolled over the edge without splitting. I usually lay the felt out on the lawn on a warm, sunny day (the odd one or two that sometimes arrive in the typical British summer - remember them, Richard?) to get the felt pliable.

The felt is then cut to shape, laid on the baseboard that has been screwed in place on the 4x2 batterns and then rolled over the edge and tacked into place with large head roofing tacks.

The joints are sealed with black silicon sealer and the grit that comes off the felt is collected up and sprinkled very liberally onto the wet silicon and left till the silicon has gone off - I usually give it a day - then the surplus is swept off and kept for the next joint. Apart from the boards that went around the rockery, I usually try to cut the board joints at an angle which tends to alleviate "stepping" and try to keep the felt joints away from the board joints. I cut the felt joints at an angle too, as they are easier to disguise.

In the case of the boards around the rockery, as they were to be screwed to the support bricks, the felt was applied first by laying face down and the board positioned upside down on the felt, the felt rolled over, then tacked to the underside (which is facing upwards). Then board was then put in place with the screws going through the felt and the silicon/grit treatment applied to seal.

Regards,

Geoff