Unidentified Locations

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Unidentified Locations

Post by Bryan »

I am trying to identify 2 photos.
One shows 2 ploughs alongside a turntable, ploughs labelled as Blyth. Is this correct?
The other photo shows steel bodied plough with I think a J21 and a tentative engine ID of 1565 / 65092.
I am led to believe that although both this engine and the ploughs were allocated to Kirby Stephen the photo location is not KS.
So where is it?
Could it be Darlington, Bishop Auckland or somewhere else, possibly servicing after a run?
Attachments
Possibly loco 1565 / 65092 J21
Possibly loco 1565 / 65092 J21
Is this Blyth?
Is this Blyth?
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Unidentified Locations

Post by BlythStationLad »

Don't think it's Blyth. Although it had a 50' turntable adjacent to the engine shed I don't recognise the ramshackle buildings in the background. What's the date of the photo?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Unknown date
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Bryan the two plough pictures. Could the first one be at Reedsmouth, Bellingham or Scots Gap i dont think its Rothbury although Hexham is also a possibility. I am trawling my pics as i speak.
The second one has the inscription Kirby Stephen AED is this the Area Engineers Depot as they seem to be parked in an engineers yard.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Shadowman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Shadowman »

In the second photo, the tracks that disappear under the tender don't look right, and appear to stop.
Is the tender sitting on a turntable?
If so, is this correct for the AED area at Kirby Stephen as mentioned before?
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

[quote="52D"] Could the first one be at Reedsmouth, Bellingham or Scots Gap i dont think its Rothbury although Hexham is also a possibility.quote]
It is not Reedsmouth as the line behind the turntable was the main running line to Morpeth, not the siding as in the pic, it cannot be Bellingham as there was not a turntable there and at Scots Gap the turntable was next to the Rothbury line, again without any sidings.
I have been trying to identify the locations in Northumberland that had a turntable and marry them up to the picture with the distinctive sheds behind, and nothing seems to fit.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

What about a bit further afield but still a possibility Riccarton Junction?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I don't have any good photos of the turntable at Riccarton, but looking at the track plans, the line next to the turntable led to the gas plant, so would not have been blocked with the snow ploughs.
The area served by Blyth would have included the Wanny line, the northern end of the Blyth and Tyne, the branches to Newbiggin and Amble, and the various mineral lines in the east of the county. The main line north would have been covered by the Tweedmouth plough, and the line to Carlisle and the Border Counties would have been covered by Blaydon.
I am not sure if there was a turntable at Newbiggin, Amble did not. Does anyone have decent pictures of Blyth?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

It will have to be South Blyth as North Blyth was a Roundhouse. I dont have a decent pic but ive a map and it does not look like it at all.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Again looking at old maps S Blyth and Kirkby Stephen (NE) could both be possibilities. The tenders certainley look to be standing on a turntable.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I have been in contact with the group at Kirby Stephen and the older hands who worked there say it is not KS.
Thanks for all the responses, keep digging it is appreciated.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Bryan wrote:I have been in contact with the group at Kirby Stephen and the older hands who worked there say it is not KS.
Thanks for all the responses, keep digging it is appreciated.

did percy main have a turntable on the blyth and tyne???
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I dont think Percy mains turntable fits third rail. 60041 ive just looked at all the railway locations on the Northumberland communities website they have pics and maps but cant find anything suitable for the Blyth? pics although at South Blyth there is an iron foundry shown on the 1920 maps that could fit the picture.
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

I'm still pretty confident it's not South Blyth. I've done alot of research into the railway there (I'm building a layout in N gauge) and do have many photos of the whole area. I just can't place those buildings in the background, hence the reason I asked in my earlier message for an approximate date that the the photo was taken.

Definitely not North Blyth, for reasons given by others.
geoffshumba
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by geoffshumba »

South Blyth seems highly improbable. Co Durham or North Yorks is more likely.