new layout

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

new layout

Post by daveinstoke »

Hi all, well I am looking to model an engine shed that will incorporate most heavy freight loco's, ie W.D'S 8F'S O4'S plus some 460 loco's.Would Banbury or woodford near Leicester be a good choice. I must admit Crewe south would be too big a layout plus would not have the mixture of loco's that I have. so can anyone give their view plus if any one has any shed plans that would be great too ! This is in it's early stage guys so any help appriciated.
Dave.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Dave,

First of all I suggest that you have a look at the Locoshed Index which will give you some ideas about the types of locos allocated to each shed over the British Railways steam period. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~luigi ... coshed.htm

If you are not sure of the number series of each class, then get hold of an Ian Allen Combined Volume for the year that interests you.

Most heavy freight sheds were allocated with a large contingent from one single class of heavy goods locos to reduce the spares that the stores had to carry, so you would not have an allocation of 8Fs with 9Fs, WDs and O4s, rather you would get a load of a single type. For example Wakefield was nearly all WDs, Retford was nearly all O4s and so on. Toton was mostly 8Fs with a smattering of 4Fs and Annesley was a mixture of 9Fs and 04s.

The allocation would dictate the locos seen on a Sunday when most were on their home sheds. On the other hand, during the week, large centres would have locos coming in from all directions to be serviced and would have a good mixture.

You may find Paul Bolgers books on BR Steam Motive Powere Depots very helpful. He produced one for each Region, listed the allocations over several years and has a few photos of each depot.

Colombo
daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by daveinstoke »

The aggrivating part with the layout or any , is that with having a good collection of models is what too use. However Low moor comes to mind for the " Last out post of B1's "& I think a good mix of loco's with this as a basis would not go amiss. A model turntable is another matter though, with the Hornby or Pecco one. As for the loco's & numbers plus shed codes thats no problem as I have all the BR steam books from 1948 plus some other rarities from that era ! On the plus side I do have multilple models of some of the rarer loco's such as the O4 plus other N.E / L.N.E.R etc company's Loco's. However I don't want to model a shed after 1960 ! I would still want the odd old L.N.E.R workhorse present.
Dave.