NER loco on the LNWR

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

NER loco on the LNWR

Post by Bryan »

Found this photo on the LNWR site

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Mystery/A051/M054B.php
Caption reads:-
This is definitely at Ordsall Lane shed, about 1890. There's a well-researched article about this shed by John Hooper in British Railway Journal no. 20 (Winter 1988) pp25-33, which includes a photo of another NER engine there - G1 class 2-4-0 No 676. The caption explains that between January 1888 and the mid-1890s there was a weekly (Thursdays only) express from Yorkshire for buyers attending the Cotton Exchange in Manchester; the NER engine was provided by Hull Botanic Gardens shed and was serviced at Ordsall Lane before returning home.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER loco on the LNWR

Post by 52D »

Its a McDonnell 38 class 4-4-0 there is a similar picture in Hooles Illustrated history of NER Locomotives page 60 with what looks to be the same crew and loco. The picture states the photographer was W.J. Barker and location was Leeds. Did this loco travel via Leeds and did Barker take both pics.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Further to yesterdays post i have taken the liberty of scanning two pictures. The drawing is an official NER drawing and the picture is attributed to Barker both from An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives by Ken Hoole.
I hope by giving full detail i am not breaching copyright.
Attachments
McDonnell 38 Class 4-4-0 No.112.JPG
McDonnell 38 Class.JPG
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Looking at the photo I posted.
The stock in the background appears to be LNWR so would tend to agree with the original caption as being Ordsal.