Immingham Coaling Plant - does it still survive?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Immingham Coaling Plant - does it still survive?

Post by Colombo »

I always thought that Carnforth coaling plant was the only one left, but whilst surfing I found a reference to Immingham Coaling plant still surviving in March 2005.

I then found a series of photos of the MPD dated 1991 athttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.enef ... mmloco.htm.
These clearly show that the MPD was being used for servicing diesel locos at that time and there is the concrete coaling plant.

However this may not be the end of the story because LNER Sheds in Camera by John Hooper, published in 1984 indicates that the previously used coaling stage was also still in situ at that time with a huge concrete water tank built over it.

Can anyone confirm that these structures are still there?

If so, any chance of a photo?

Colombo
lielestosbrat
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lielestosbrat »

It might still be present, I have seen some later shots of Immingham with EWS diesels around and the coaling plant in situ.

Rob
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

The concrete coaling plant still exisits. They couldn't demolish it as it would require explosives and it is right slap bang in the middle next to a large shed. You cant take photos anymore because EWS erected a large fence and security gate. I was there a couple of years ago to take photos of the 56's in the scrap line in front of the tower. Will see what I can dig out.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Still havn't had chance to dig out some photos yet but there is one in Yeadon's register of LNER locos the K1 & K2's from the late 50's, with a K2 stood in front of it.
alan
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alan »

Yes, It was still there in October of last year, 05. I tried to get our club in for a visit to the MPD ,but they said NO.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

It was ther last saturday. I drove past it could see it pokeing out above a building. I have found a couple of photos taken two years ago will get my scanner working over the weekend
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

what sort of coal tower is it, one which lifts waggons or one which receives coal from a conveyer?
ImageImage
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I think it is one that lifted wagons up.
Attachments
56's in Immingham Scrap Line.jpg
Class 56's in front of Immingham coaling stage late 2004
(839.84 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

This months issue of steam days has an article on Immingham Docks and the shed. Havn't seen it yet but there may be some usefull pictures.
Cypherus
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Immingham Coaling Plant - does it still survive?

Post by Cypherus »

Picked this out of the pile today, Might be of interest to some,

The coaling plant is still there, forlorn looking relic of former railway glory days, Sadly others do not think along similar lines as it recently failed to gain preservation status mainly, the list of excuses is long and convoluted, because of it's decrepit state being that the 'Metal Works' have mainly been removed it no longer offers a true picture of what it's original purpose was. years back I could still gain entry at least to the lower of it's three floor levels, since then each visit has seen the last traces of the machinery removed and the general condition of the structure deteriorating at an increasing rate as time and moisture rots it's internal reinforcing.

This said I would not be surprised for it to be quietly blown up err down, and removed in short order as so many have in the past to make way for developments on the site.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Any one got a drone !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Just read in the latest Railway Magazine that the old coaling plant has recently been removed.
So Carnforth is indeed the very last one remaining. ..but for how long?
I still recall the pulse quickening when approaching a shed from afar and catching that first site of the looming cenotaph-like edifice.
The favourite springing to mind is Carlisle Canal