Great Central

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Great Central

Post by Malcolm »

Although I am a NER enthusiast, I love pictures of other LNER constituents (as you all know).
Anyway, I thought you might like to see this nice one.
Any help with identifying the D10 in question would be gratefully accepted.

Malcolm.
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Great Central

Post by Flamingo »

Well, it is a nice picture but unfortunately the train engine is not a D10, because it has a side window cab, i.e. it's a D11. Looks like it has a fairly long name so not one of the batch named after WW1 battles, and that makes it one from the first batch GCR nos. 506 to 510.
Hucknall Central
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Hucknall Central »

Can't help with the name of the 11F Improved Director (LNER D11), but the location is Guide Bridge, with the well-known landmark of St Stephen's church spire, the train heading east towards Woodhead etc.
Paul
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Nice photo, the locos are very well turned out; the Atlantics looked superb but evidently no more effective than the 11Fs.

Is the leading carriage a "Barnum"?
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

Solario wrote:Nice photo, the locos are very well turned out; the Atlantics looked superb but evidently no more effective than the 11Fs.

Is the leading carriage a "Barnum"?
i looked at that the other day and asked myself the same question ,it looks very similar but having looked at jan/feb steam railway where there is a article on them which states they are 13 ft high and 9 ft wide the doors looked the same it has the right number of windows but it appears to be lower than the carriage behind but as they where supposed to be built to a larger gauge but as695 became the newcastle on tyne mess van
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by TonyM »

Could that D11 be 5508 Prince of Wales??

Tony M
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Your guess would be as good as mine on the name of this loco! The carriage is a Barnum tourist coach- the handrails on the vestibule doors are a give away from any angle! These were often marshalled on the outside of ste train formations, and you can see here that the newer matchboard stock behind the 'barnum' is actually slightly larger even than that!

great picture, thanks for posting.

Will
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

wehf100 wrote:Your guess would be as good as mine on the name of this loco! The carriage is a Barnum tourist coach- the handrails on the vestibule doors are a give away from any angle! These were often marshalled on the outside of ste train formations, and you can see here that the newer matchboard stock behind the 'barnum' is actually slightly larger even than that!
Both Barnums and the matchboard stock were 12' 11.75" high over all officially. Could it be that the Barnum is fully loaded with a party, while the brake behind it has the usual half dozen passengers?
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

a rare one here. This man was a star for the Great Central.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.