A book about Papyrus

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sir visto
LNER N2 0-6-2T

A book about Papyrus

Post by sir visto »

I'm looking for a book that allegedly details the record runs of 2750 Papyrus on 5 March 1935 when a maximum of 108mph was achieved. The book is called 2750 - Legend of a Locomotive.
I would be very obliged if anyone can furnish details of this book, ie, author, publisher, etc.

Don
Better steam than CO
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Henry Charles Webster
Publisher: Nelson (1953)
ASIN: B0000CIPU2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2750-Legend-of-a- ... dZViewItem
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
sir visto
LNER N2 0-6-2T

A book about Papyrus

Post by sir visto »

Many thanks, Mark. Went to eBay and bought it. Great

Don
Better steam than CO
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

H. C. Webster the author of "2750 Legend of a Locomotive" wrote an excellent article -well worth reading - in Trains Annual 1963 on the arrival of the A4 Pacifics at King's Cross Top Shed in 1935 and was evidently a motive power officer on the LNER, being present on 2509 Silver Link's trial run in September 1935 and knowing a great deal about events at that time, as seen by an insider.
The story of 2750 is, as I remember, a compendium of events built around Papyrus, one of the most famous top link Pacifics at Top shed in the 1930s, which achieved 108 m.p.h on a trial run to Newcastle and back in 1935 for the proposed Silver Jubilee high speed service. The 108 m.p.h was, unsurprisingly, achieved down Stoke with Driver Bill Sparshatt, of 4472 fame, at the controls. However, 2750's regular driver was Harry Gutteridge, whom Webster clearly had a very great deal of affection and respect for, due to his competence and ability as an engineman.
boos0179
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: A book about Papyrus / Harry Gutteridge

Post by boos0179 »

Hello.
I am the great grand daughter of Harry Gutteridge, driver of Papyrus, the royal train (EdwardVII and possible George V, we have a legend of him being invited to the races at York by the King) and various A4 Class locomotives. I also believe that he appeared in the film 'The 39 Steps' - Robert Donat version - at Kings Cross in a very brief flash, blink and you miss it! I am researching family history and wonder if there is anyone out there who could give me any information about my ancestor. I have recently discovered that there is a book called 2750 Legend of a locomotive. Understandably I would love to see/have a copy. My mother was so excited when I told her the news. It would be great if she could see it too. She remembers her grandfather, just, and was very fond of him. Please if anyone out there has any information or pictures I would be thrilled to her from you.
Harry Gutteridge had a son ( my grandfather ) also called Harry and also an engine driver. I understand from my mother that he took part in some speed trials on Mallard after her record breaking run to see if the record could be broken again. Does anyone have any information about this?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A book about Papyrus

Post by 52D »

Go to this link the book has been fetching silly money.
2750-legend-of-a-locomotive-henry-charl ... t1775.html
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
stembok

Post by stembok »

boos0179: In an article in Trains Annual for 1963 Henry Webster mentions your Great Grandfather [Harry Gutteridge]with a great deal of affection and respect as being, in his opinion, " one of most competent drivers ever at 'Top Shed' "(King's Cross), a marvellous tribute. Together with his 'own' engine 2750'Papyrus' and Fireman Wightman he drove on the northbound leg of the trial trip for the 'Silver Jubilee' to Newcastle, in March,1935. According to the book 'A Gresley Anthology' (1994), your Great Grandfather entered the 'Top Link', the most senior link at King's Cross in 1928, with lodging turns - where the men spent the night at their destination working back next day or after their rest period - to Newcastle as part of their work. There was also the non-stop 'Flying Scotsman' from 1928 to Edinburgh in the summer, with engine crews changing over en route by means of the corridor tender. From September 1935 he would also have taken part in workings of the high speed 'Silver Jubilee' service to Newcastle with streamlined A4 Pacific engines. There was a story related many years ago that Harry requested that he might be allowed a final run with his beloved 2750 on the eve of his retirement. Sadly, to his great disappointment, this did not prove possible.
boos0179
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by boos0179 »

Stembok and 52D, Many thanks for your replies.
I have an old newspaper article about Harry Guttridge working on the Flying Scotsman route, with lots of photos. My mother also has an autograph book in which his photo appears as one of the autographs to be collected.
As to his retirement, the family story is that he broke down and wept on the station when he was not allowed to drive Papyrus for the last time. He really loved that engine. It seemed such a cruel thing for a driver who always did his best and was well respected.
If anyone knows of any other publications in which he his mentioned I would love to know. Thank you again.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Hello boos0179,

If you go to another page in this forum, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2611&hilit=New+Southgate , you will see a photograph that, although damaged and indistinct in detail, could possibly be Papyrus on the down Flying Scotsman at the period when your great grandfather may have been its regular driver (see subsequent post by 'Flamingo'). You could try contacting '2562' who posted it to see if the locomotive's number can be ascertained from the original print by digital enhancement.

All the best,
boos0179
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by boos0179 »

Thank you.
Have looked at photo. I am not an expert on engines by any means but you could be right.
patmyhill
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by patmyhill »

Hi here
re Henry Gutteridge not being able to drive 2750 for a last time. Henry was a Top Shed driver and I'm pretty certain that 2750 was transferred to Haymarket around 1936/7, largely staying in Scotland until withdrawal. So it was probably more a practical issue rather than anything else. The only easy way would for him to have been able to drive her briefly during an overnight in Edinburgh if he was rostered on the 'Non-Stop'. Even then he wouldn't have the route knowledge north of Newcastle.
stembok

Post by stembok »

The story of Harry Gutteridge not having his wish granted to drive 2750 on the eve of his retirement is well documented, both by his family and by close observers of operations at the southern end of the LNER at the time. It was an understandable decision by management given that A4s were the booked and expected motive power for the streamliners, though it would have been a nice gesture to a faithful servant of the company. Perhaps he could have swopped driving turns on the day in question. I am not sure of Harry's exact retirement date ,but 2750 left King's Cross for Haymarket on 14/8/37. It returned to King's Cross on 8/9/37 ,before leaving for Doncaster 12/10/37. It was 2/7/50 before it made its final and permanent move to Scotland, by now of course as 60096.
KeithW
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by KeithW »

Hello, I have just come across this forum and felt it might be nice to be involved, the reason, I am the grandson of Fireman Wightman, when Papyrus took the record with if my memory serves me correctly Driver Sparshatt, I donated a while back to the museum at York a whole pack of letters and photographs that I inherited, one item was a letter from Sir Nigel Gresley, commending Driver Sparshatt and my grandfather on the record run and photographs of then stood on the smoke box plate, it would be nice to hear from anyone who may be directly connected, thanks for bring back important memories.
clawrence
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by clawrence »

Hi, I'm the Great Great Niece of William Sparshatt (bit of confusion over the surname spelling - our family name is SparshOtt and so was Williams but unsure when or why it got changed to Sparshatt)

I've just recently decided to take an interest in this - does anyone have any information about William or pictures I could see?

Christina x
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Hi Christina,

You can find one picture on this very web site -http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1a3a10.shtml. Hover the cursor over the picture to see the caption. The same picture is on the home page.

His name crops up in many books about LNER Pacifics. If I have time I will search some out over the next few days unless someone else can come up with the information in the meantime.