Station Platforms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Station Platforms

Post by Kyle1987 »

Hey all

I was just wondering if anyone knew what type of brick/stone the LNER used for their station platforms. I'm currently building a railway and was just wondering if anyone could help me :)

Cheers

Kyle
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I expect that brick, stone, cast concrete sections, and even timber were used - this would presumably depend on what was available locally, at what cost, and what the particular application was (new build? extension of an existing platform? patching damage?).
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes, most would have been inherited from the constituent railways. The stations in the NER area will look different from the GER, which will look different from the GNSR, etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Suddaby »

As Richard says, most of the LNER stations were built by the pre-grouping companies - or even earlier companies. I am not sure that even they would have a "house style" as you might say, using local architects,materials and builders.
The answer really is to decide where your model is situated and then get photos of stations in the area. Usually stations built on one line exhibit some sense of uniformity, but not always - for example stations on the Pateley Bridge branch are all very similar, but look at the stations on the Harrogate - Ripon line that it branches off and they are to a totally different style.

Regards

Kevin
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

As a matter of interest, York Station and Hotel are yellow Scarborough Brick, chosen to tone with the Dolomitic Limestone of the adjacent Bar Walls. However, I recall that all the surrounding railway buildings are red brick.

If you are using Slater's plastikard, which is probably the best method, you can decide which brick bond to use as most common types of bond are available; for brick bonds see:
http://www.diydata.com/planning/brick_b ... _bonds.htm
You should compare these bonds with your photograph of the building and choose your plastikard accordingly.

The old railway companies were building solid walls and so did not use our modern stretcher bond which we now have to use for our cavity walls.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Peco produce nice modular platform edges and ramps (as well as not very convincing surface sections), which you can face with Slaters Plastikard.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Platforms

Post by Kyle1987 »

i'm making my platforms out of wood, then planning to stick/glue brick/stone print (probably from the net) to them so i can have the correct angles.

as for a location, i haven't really decided where it is (it's a fictional area- Kyleton and Notelyk)

i'm really not all that fussed on the style (i can always change it in the future if i want to) as it really is just for some fun. i guess i might just go with what looks good, lol