60145 St Mungo the last original A1

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

60145 St Mungo the last original A1

Post by Firbeck »

From the mid 50's onward my father had a tradition of taking my brother and I off on a spotting trip on Whit Tuesday, always the day after visiting the Bank Holiday airshow at Hucknall.
We started with Grantham, then things started to get more adventurous, York, Crewe, Shrewsbury, etc etc.
In 1966, a couple of schoolfriends and I bought railrover tickets for the Leeds-York-Doncaster area and visited various stations and sheds. I recall going to the Hucknall Airshow on the Monday and I reckon this trip was probably Wednesday June 1st 1966, I can't be totally accurate, but I'm fairly sure, written on the back of my photos from that day it simply says Whit 1966.
We managed to get round York Shed without a permit without any trouble at all, and in the yard outside the roundhouse we found St Mungo:

Now I always believed that this could be one of the last pictures of 60145 in it's intact state, I contacted the Tornado people about this, but they reckoned that by this date, it had lost it's chimney and coupling rods. I'm 100% certain that the date of this picture is correct to within a day or two, if I could find my 1966 Ian Allan diary, or even the rover ticket, I can confirm the exact date, but they're lurking, hidden, in one of my many memoribilia boxes somewhere.
The loco looks to be in pretty good condition to me, though I don't know the date of it's last steaming, I can understand the rods being removed if it was to be towed off for scrapping, but why would they remove the chimney.
Anyway, I note some colour pictures of it on here taken the year before, can any body shed any light on the last days of this fine loco, that should have been preserved, a mystery to me why it wasn't, did anyone actually try.
Just looking at the picture again, the driving wheels look slightly out of balance to me, would I be correct.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 60145 St Mungo the last original A1

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Sorry can not help you with your question, but we should make him the patron saint of the ECML :shock:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

According to Yeadon 60145 was officially condemned on 19th June 1966 and sold to Drapers 8/66.She had been originally condemned 27/3/66 on the closure of Darlington shed, where she had been one of the main line pilots since 2/1/66, but she was then reinstated on 17/4/66.and transferred to York. 60145 would have seemed an excellent candidate for preservation as she'd had a general repair at Darlington Works ex works 2/64 and was then placed in store at Hull Dairycoates until 6/64. Her mileage since repair must therefore have been relatively small on withdrawal, as steam duties were becoming very irregular at this time. I suppose £4,500 would have secured her for preservation but that was a lot of money in those days and there were a lot of people chasing money for different projects. And of course we might not have had the magnificent achievement represented by 60163.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Agreed!

Here's the other thread for uniformity: york-steam-rip-40-years-t115.html-st=0& ... t=st+mungo

Thats a lovely photograph, thank you for sharing.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Firbeck wrote:Just looking at the picture again, the driving wheels look slightly out of balance to me, would I be correct.
It's the way the balance weights were set up.
Attachments
60154 52A 2-3-63.jpg
Firbeck
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Firbeck »

Thanks for that Simierski, an interesting article, but a bit premature.
Six months on when I visited York and saw St Mungo, the roundhouse was pretty well stashed out with loco's in steam including V2's, B1's, K2's etc, this was a working weekday too when I presume that many were out on the road.
Not only that but there was still a regular steam passenger working at that time, this was the Banbury evening parcels which we caught back to Nottingham Vic. That day it was hauled by a grimy B1 which took us via the ECML to Doncaster, then on to Sheffield Vic where it was replaced by a Class 37 diesel to Nottingham, it was the last time I travelled by steam down the ECML.
We had in fact travelled on this train from Doncaster a few weeks previously during another epic railtour:
A ropey picture, I know, but it was a late evening in the Easter holidays 1966, the B1 had just run down from York.
Sorry to go off subject, I'll start a thread on some of my York pictures when I have time.
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

From my old spotting books the last time I saw 60145 in steam was Monday 18.4.66 heading through Ferryhill County Durham on the Red Banks Parcels, presumably on the passing out firemen turn.The last time I recorded it ever was at York on Monday 1.8.66. Don't know when it left for Hull.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Sedgefield: I wonder if 60145 was reinstated 17/4/66 in part for crew passing out purposes. The Red Bank 'newspaper empties' was used to pass out steam enginemen as drivers C1966 and V2 60831 and Jubilees were also used, with quite a few photos published at the time. I do know 60145 worked the 03.50 York -Stockton passenger/parcels around April 20th,1966 and this train then continued as a parcels train only to Newcastle, the engine returning to York on the Red Bank.

PS a friend tells me that there was reportedly a serious enquiry made about the purchase of 60145 by Geoff Drury, who later bought A4 60019 and A2 60532 Blue Peter.
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

Going off at a tangent somewhat the Red Bank Parcels could turn up with steam haulage right up to the closure of steam of York shed. Here is a box brownie shot of Jubilee 45675 Hardy dashing through Bradbury on 6.4.67.
B031a_6.4.67_Bradbury_45675Hardy_brt[1].jpg
Also recorded the next day was B1 61021 Reitbok and the last time I saw it behind steam at Bradbury was 3.6.67 behind Jubilee 45562 Alberta. I understand York closed to steam that month but exactly what date?
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

I have just accidently discovered why 45562 Alberta was on the Red Bank Parcels that day 2.6.67. The fabulous Railscot website has photos of her at Hexham on the LCGB Thames Tyne Limited before handing over to Flying Scotsman at Newcastle. She must have been working her way back to Holbeck on the Red Bank Parcels. Perhaps York was already closed to steam by then. Any York people know when the last working B.R. Steam Loco worked from that shed?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I have this shot in my collection of images of NER Snowploughs.
Just realised it may also include St Mungo.
Can anyone confirm this?
Attachments
Is this St Mungo?
Is this St Mungo?
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

Found this image on the net of 60145 in steam on 20.4.66, 2 days after my last sighting of her on the Red Bank Parcels. Any later images of her in steam as she wasn't officially withdrawn until June?
SHED YARD 60145 20.4.66.jpg
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

There is a photo of St Mungo on p41 of "BR locomotives cut up by Drapers of Hull" by Egan & Scotney, Hutton, Beverley 1989.

The photo shows her at Drapers Sculcoates yard on 25/09/1966 minus, nameplates, smokebox number, shed plate, chimney and tender.

There is also a picture here of her at http://www.53amodels.co.uk/ whilst at Hull Dairycoates in April 1964. She is in store with her chimney covered over but otherwise looking in very good condition.
John B
mike collier
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by mike collier »

Firbeck wrote:From the mid 50's onward my father had a tradition of taking my brother and I off on a spotting trip on Whit Tuesday, always the day after visiting the Bank Holiday airshow at Hucknall.
We started with Grantham, then things started to get more adventurous, York, Crewe, Shrewsbury, etc etc.
In 1966, a couple of schoolfriends and I bought railrover tickets for the Leeds-York-Doncaster area and visited various stations and sheds. I recall going to the Hucknall Airshow on the Monday and I reckon this trip was probably Wednesday June 1st 1966, I can't be totally accurate, but I'm fairly sure, written on the back of my photos from that day it simply says Whit 1966.
We managed to get round York Shed without a permit without any trouble at all, and in the yard outside the roundhouse we found St Mungo:

Now I always believed that this could be one of the last pictures of 60145 in it's intact state, I contacted the Tornado people about this, but they reckoned that by this date, it had lost it's chimney and coupling rods. I'm 100% certain that the date of this picture is correct to within a day or two, if I could find my 1966 Ian Allan diary, or even the rover ticket, I can confirm the exact date, but they're lurking, hidden, in one of my many memoribilia boxes somewhere.
The loco looks to be in pretty good condition to me, though I don't know the date of it's last steaming, I can understand the rods being removed if it was to be towed off for scrapping, but why would they remove the chimney.
Anyway, I note some colour pictures of it on here taken the year before, can any body shed any light on the last days of this fine loco, that should have been preserved, a mystery to me why it wasn't, did anyone actually try.
Just looking at the picture again, the driving wheels look slightly out of balance to me, would I be correct.
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

Here is a link to photo from May 1966 showing last two A1s at York. 60124 minus a chimney. http://www.georgestrainpics.fotopic.net/p64277254.html