NER signals etc at unknown location.

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

TANFIELD
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

NER signals etc at unknown location.

Post by TANFIELD »

A Jack Armstrong picture in the care of the Armstrong Trust. Two rather fine signals at a mystery location...any ideas?
Attachments
Trying to identify location, but not much to go on! Two splendid NER signals on this single line. The siding buffer is a bit dilapidated to say the least, thought to be mid or west Co.Durham.
Trying to identify location, but not much to go on! Two splendid NER signals on this single line. The siding buffer is a bit dilapidated to say the least, thought to be mid or west Co.Durham.
TANFIELD

Re: NER signals etc at unknown location.

Post by TANFIELD »

STRONG SUGGESTION OF THE CHILTON BRANCH (FERRYHILL CO. DURHAM) ANYONE WITH LOCAL KNOWLEDGE MAY BE ABLE TO "HOME" IN AND CONFIRM/DENY. THANKS FOR THE VARIOUS HELP SO FAR.
booklad
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by booklad »

the important clues are the calling-on arm and the wooden board fixed under the distant. that said, it doesn't resemble anywhere on the chilton branch.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The left hand signal has the characteristics of an NER (ND) signal so I would say it is north of Darlington.There's a suggestion of a colliery in the background and the wooden instruction board fitted to the distant suggests a colliery line, maybe on the Lambton,Hetton & Joicey system?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Thinking again the signal on the left has a track circuit diamond plate so that more or less rules out an industrial line?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Incidentally, on 26.1.80 I photographed this distant signal on the Coxhoe (WH) branch from Ferryhill and it looks similar to the distant in the photo.This view is looking towards Coxhoe and I think this would have been the Thinford Up Distant.
Attachments
Distant Signal near Thinford {Coxhoe} 26.1.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

....Very similar, I'd say.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Phil K
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Phil K »

StevieG wrote:....Very similar, I'd say.
Agreed.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Could almost be the very same signal ? .....
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Pretty sure it is . There was a level crossing at Thinford and I am guessing the wooden board on the signal was "WHISTLE" or some other instruction?
TANFIELD

Post by TANFIELD »

The coloured photo of the distant signal taken in 1980 is truely remarkable. As we understand it, it's the distant for Cornforth Lane Level Crossing so the view in both photos is looking north east towards Coxhoe village. The line is therefore the Coxhoe WH branch and the LQ home signals are operated by the level crossing box on the A177 road running between Coxhoe and Thinford. Old OS map confirms the landscape...so thanks to all contributors.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

You're welcome! Here is the NER milepost at Coxhoe (WH) on the same day, showing 2 miles from "COX Jc" (Coxhoe Junction).It was just past the Coxhoe level crossing, and I guess it is probably in someone's collection now?
Attachments
Coxhoe WH {4} Milepost 26.1.jpg
TANFIELD

Post by TANFIELD »

The milepost 2 photograph is another splendid reminder. I too hope it survived into someones collection!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

We all know the reputation that BR had and the saying that "if the painters come round then it must be due for closure!". One of the things which struck me about this line was that although the track was in shocking condition, the level crossing gates, mileposts and point levers at Coxhoe had all been recently painted (probably less than a year ago). Funny though that they didn't repaint the signal? It could definitely have used it!
axlebox
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by axlebox »

The photo was taken on the Chilton branch looking east down the incline towards Chilton Junction...you can make out the row of railway houses on the other side of the ECML bridge in the distance and the farm overbridge towards the bottom of the incline. The distant signal was for Gypsy Lane crossing.