KX train diagrams in the 1970s.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

KX train diagrams in the 1970s.

Post by Mickey »

Anyone have any information on a 'mystery' ECS working that use to run (i think?) from Kings Cross or Holloway down carriage sidings and maybe called at Western sidings then on to Ferme Park carriage sidings then on to Bounds Green carriage sidings then forward to Hornsey carriage sidings and on to Finsbury Park carriage sidings and then possibly back to Kings Cross and was known as 'the odd stock' (certainly by the signalmen it was) and ran in the 'dead hours' at about 2:am back in the early 1970s. The train could be made up of any 'rag bag' of vehicles such as the trains title suggests on any given night?. Some nights the occasional Mk1 coach and/or a GUV van maybe coupled up with the odd DMU coach or a Mk1 restaurant car with maybe an AIR braked box van thrown in for good measure all topped off usually worked by a Brush type 2 (class 31).
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The 'odd stock' mystery ECS working?.

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:Anyone have any information on a 'mystery' ECS working that use to run (i think?) from Kings Cross or Holloway down carriage sidings and maybe called at Western sidings then on to Ferme Park carriage sidings then on to Bounds Green carriage sidings then forward to Hornsey carriage sidings and on to Finsbury Park carriage sidings and then possibly back to Kings Cross and was known as 'the odd stock' (certainly by the signalmen it was) and ran in the 'dead hours' at about 2:am back in the early 1970s. The train could be made up of any 'rag bag' of vehicles such as the trains title suggests on any given night?. Some nights the occasional Mk1 coach and/or a GUV van maybe coupled up with the odd DMU coach or a Mk1 restaurant car with maybe an AIR braked box van thrown in for good measure all topped off usually worked by a Brush type 2 (class 31). Micky G.N.R/L.N.E.R.
... the headcode 5B98 immediately springs to mind, but I'm not sure that was the train you're referring to. Was that 5B99? (& 5B98 some similar-sounding daytime working?).
The purpose was to transfer various vehicles between sidings and yards, as required?

Come to think of it, wasn't there a night-time stock transfer trip over a much longer distance (like, Kx / Donc. : 5A19? ; or are these just hopelessly inaccurate meanderings of an ageing memory?).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Have worked that train a number of times, it was a 'As Required' train, most of the times that I worked it, we took a few odd coaches out to Bounds Green, usually with defects, dodgy brakes etc and nearly all carded 'one trip only'. After shunting them we would pick up repaired stock, couple of GUV's Resturant/Buffet car etc, would leave BG about 0330, and run mainline back to the 'Cross', back at the 'Cross' you could be put in any old platform, depending what you had on, 2 GUV's and you went straight into the milk dock, I have come back from BG with 10 on, with that many on you would probably be run into 1-6, if you were on one of the shunt jobs it would be a wake up call??? :lol:
manna

PS/ talking with a driver about this odd stock job one night, and he told me that it was a job that he remembered doing when he was a fireman! but with a N2.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The 'odd stock' was usually worked by a Brush type 2
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Talking about Brush 2's and 60mph, you get a Brush 2 on a Cambridge express and you struggled at near 60mph all the way to Hatfield, nearly always late into Cambridge, bit different coming back though. :D
manna
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

60mph passing Wood Green on the Down fast line and the speedometer wouldn't go beyond the 60mph mark until passing Hawkshead on the approach to Brookmans Park.
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
That would be about right Micky, 6 or 7 on, fine but 8 on would just tip the balance, and if you had a PW slowing!!

Sorry, ment Potters Bar, What was I thinking......DOH??
manna
Mickey

Re:ECS working out of Kings Cross.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
There was one job at the 'Cross' a double trip to Cambridge, both fasts (1B66), one trip was with a Brush 2 the other was with a Brush 4, I can't remember which way round they were, think it was the Brush 4 first trip (afternoon) then the Brush 2 getting back to Kings Cross about 2230, the first trip was so easy, hitting Potters Bar at about 80mph with 8 on, second trip trip with the same coaches and a Brush 2 about 55/60mph, big difference, and slower away from every station :(
manna
Mickey

ECS and other workings.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

The 'odd stock'/ECS working/Loco diagrams at KX.

Post by Mickey »

Sorry folks this was an error in posting i was trying to change the page heading to read The odd stock/ECS working/Loco diagrams at KX. Micky
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Whilst appreciating that Gateshead based Class 46's were ECML regulars, I'm rather thrown by these ongoing references to Class 45's working into KX. Can't recall them being common below Donny on the ECML - where were they located, Holbeck?
Cheers
Robt P.
Mickey

ECS working/KX loco diagrams 1974/75.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

rob237 wrote:Whilst appreciating that Gateshead based Class 46's were ECML regulars, I'm rather thrown by these ongoing references to Class 45's working into KX. Can't recall them being common below Donny on the ECML - where were they located, Holbeck?
Cheers
Robt P.
I can recall in the early 1970s, Class 45s occasionally working Deltic diagrams on Leeds services into Kings Cross. They seemed to be able to keep time on these, unlike a Class 46 or, often, a Class 47. Fine machines.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Re:ECS working out of Kings Cross.

Post by Bryan »

Micky wrote:Yeah a Brush type 2 (class 31) pulling 7 or 8 Mk1 coaches up a prolonged rising gradient would be able to handle that many but anymore than a type 2 would struggle a bit although the Brush 2s were very good locos and easy to drive i liked them over the Brush type 4s (class 47s), Deltics (class 55s), English Electric type 4s (class 40s) and even several Peaks (class 45/6) that were around the 'Cross' in the early 70s certainly the Brush type 2s were a 'maid of all work'. Micky G.N.R/L.N.E.R.
With regard to a 31 on a gradient Micky how will they cope on a 1 - 49?

17 - 19 September Diesel Gala at the NYMR
Pleased to announce that the following traction is due to appear at the Gala subject to the usual disclaimers

Home Based

Class 04 D2207
Class 08 08 556 or 08 850
Class 24 D5061
Class 25 D7628 'Sybilla'
Class 50 50 027 'Lion
Class 101 101680

Visiting Traction

Class 20 20 227 and 20 142 or 20 189
Class 31 31 128 and 31 2171' Stratford TMD 1840-2001'
Class 37 37 264
Class 45 45 041 'Royal Tank Regiment'

Friday will be services between Pickering and Grosmont
Saturday will be services between Pickering and Whitby Town
Sunday will be Services between pickering and Grosmont and Whitby Town and Battersby

Its also hoped to be able to repeat the shunter shuttles and a evening service opposite the steam hauled evening Dining train