Old GNR Pics & NER

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Old GNR Pics & NER

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Here are some nice old pics, enjoy.
manna
Attachments
gnr2-4-0upwoodgreen.jpg
gnr_4-4-2t_1020_bradford_exchange.jpg
gnr_1422_x_staff_do.jpg
gnr_2-8-0_no_460_new_southgate.jpg
Last edited by manna on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Old GNR Pics

Post by hq1hitchin »

Great stuff, Manna - bottom two, would the C1 be at Donny and the Tango at New Southgate?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Here's a couple more.

I find one pic of great interest,The SECR tank loco at Belle Isle, Where is it going???

manna
Attachments
gnr_doncaster_shed_panoramic.jpg
gnrsignalgantryredbankdoncaster.jpg
gnr222no647finsburypk.jpg
gnrsecr044tbelleisle.jpg
simonh
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by simonh »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
Here's a couple more.

I find one pic of great interest,The SECR tank loco at Belle Isle, Where is it going???

manna
I know the LCDR and SER ran services through the Snow Hill tunnel and the widened lines to GN suburban destinations, so this train is probably headed for New Barnet or Enfield. I guess they continued after the companies merged into the SECR. Just checked and O.S. Nock says these services ended in 1907.

Simon.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thanks for that, I knew freight traffic crossed London, but did not realise that SECR locos travelled with Passenger trains on GN metals, which now begs the question, did the GN travel down south and where.......Margate!!!!
manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Old GNR Pics & NER

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
.......... heres some for the NER fans.

manna
Attachments
ner_0-4-4wt_1431_york.jpg
ner_2-4-0t_2269_scarborough.jpg
ner_4-4-0_1519_neville_hill_shed_leeds.jpg
ner_4-4-0_2018_york.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The NER BTP 0-4-4WT No.1431 was later rebuilt to to a 290 class 0-6-0T (LNER J77). It was originally built in 1872 lasting till 1951 in its rebuilt form.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Here are two pics of Sandy, always thought Sandy would make a good 'large' model railway, :D
manna
Attachments
gnr_sandy_station_platforms.jpg
lnwr_sandy_station_platforms.jpg
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

These are all interesting pictures manna, and many of them give us an insight into 'another world'. Is that a carriage truck in the loading dock (second picture)? Looking at the way it's set up, if a member of the local gentry turned up at any time with their carriage and wished to go to town, taking said conveyance with them, could they simply have it loaded up onto the ready-and-waiting truck, which would be hitched onto the next train south? (nb - I don't know the area, and I'm making the assumption that the photographer's facing south on the basis that in the top photo, which seems to have been taken from the same bridge, the 'box is called Sandy North.)
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

The so called 'gentry' would ususally have sent a message iin advance asking for such carriage facilities to be available - Open or closed CT and one or more horseboxes although at certain main stations, they were readily available. The service seems to have gone into decline with the advent of cars and WW1, but the vehicles were still being built and still in use up to the demise of steam; both horsboxes and often for new road vehicles, the Carriage Truck.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

61070 wrote: " .... could they simply have it loaded up onto the ready-and-waiting truck, which would be hitched onto the next train south? (nb - I don't know the area, and I'm making the assumption that the photographer's facing south on the basis that in the top photo, which seems to have been taken from the same bridge, the 'box is called Sandy North.) "
Yes, both pictures were taken looking south. The first, with Sandy North 'box, is (no surprise) of the GN main line side of the station (tracks are, l-to-r, Up Main and Down Main).
The "LNW" picture is of that railway's platforms, parallel with the GN's, and which, although here running north/south, only did so for about a mile, the route otherwise running mostly east/west, being part of that company's Cambridge-Oxford line.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I have a pretty good picture (in a book) showing a down express 'storming' through Sandy station in the summer of 1887 which features a good study of Sandy north s/box. The picture was taken from the up side platform, also when i visited the station in early 1970 the L.N.W.R. s/box at the south end of the station was still there all be it in a closed and redundent capacity. Micky
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
I love these old photos, with the camera's of yesteryear and how bulky they were, it is a wonder they got such good results :shock:
Yep I like the carriage dock at Sandy, but, did the whole 'Loaded' train have to reverse! into the siding to pick it up!! the mind boggles at todays H&S, I for one was saddened at Sandy being razed, but happy to know that it's there!!

Here's one for our GER members, I would love to see one of these as a working model?????
manna
Attachments
gernorfolkrly2-2-2eaglelocoxinspectionsaloonnorwich.jpg
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I think the weather protection for the crew is a little less than generous. Great shot though.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

A similar looking saloon half built was recently advertised on flea bay.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.