Activity at High Dyke

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

peejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Activity at High Dyke

Post by peejay »

These pictures appeared in Model Railway Journal issue 180/2008. They were included in an article about the EM gauge layout of High Dyke built some 25 years earlier. Whilst the pictures of the model are attributed, to Brian Monaghan, the pictures of the real thing have no attribution at all. Safest then to attribute what follows to the authors of the article, Roy Jackson, Geoff Kent, and John Phillips jointly with Wild Swan Publications.

Hope these are of interest, and maybe someone on here can identify who took the photos.
Attachments
Rear of train leaving for the down main.
Rear of train leaving for the down main.
An O2 sits in the high level sidings with a train of empties
An O2 sits in the high level sidings with a train of empties
Mineral trains abound!
Mineral trains abound!
A full train coming off the branch.  The locos always ran forwards down the branch and returned tender first.  Note the guards van has been uncoupled
A full train coming off the branch. The locos always ran forwards down the branch and returned tender first. Note the guards van has been uncoupled
Regards

Peter
peejay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Activity at High Dyke

Post by peejay »

Two more pictures:
Attachments
Long view from the southern sidings that lie alongside the down main.
Long view from the southern sidings that lie alongside the down main.
An O2 with a rake of empties.  Note the parapet of the bridge over the B6403 in the left foreground.
An O2 with a rake of empties. Note the parapet of the bridge over the B6403 in the left foreground.
Regards

Peter
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Those are excellent photos, thanks very much.

One thing that interests me is the wagons used prior to the building of the iron ore tippler wagons in the early 1950s. Was the ore carried by dedicated wooden bodied wagons? I have seen many thousands of photos/video with wooden coal wagons, but maybe I just missed the ones carrying iron ore - assuming them all to be coal.

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

I agree about the photographs - they are really good shots, and I hope the photographer is traced and can be credited.

Re strang steel's query about wagons used for the ironstone prior to the tipplers, I have no knowledge based on being there or research but there is a colour photo, dated August 1946, in the NRM/CCB Herbert collection showing 2582 Sir Hugo in the down relief engine siding. Behind it, at the down main line platform, is a laden ironstone train of steel hopper wagons, one of which appears to be lettered 'LMS' - certainly the central 'M' is in clear view, the 'L' is partly obscured by a signal post ladder, but the 'S' (if 'S' it is) is out of sight behind the signal post. This picture is on the front cover of BackTrack Oct 1997 (Vol.11, No.1) and I think I've seen it published elsewhere too.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I came across this in a 1961 Railway Observer,

In Jan 1961 D209 was used on a series of dynamometer car trials.

"The train assembled at New England with a dynamometer car and a Scottish Region adapted 35 1/2 ton brake tender. The following day [Tues 24th] it ran to High Dyke and then worked a special Class "F" from High Dyke to Frodingham via Boston, with a load of 29 x 27-ton loaded iron ore tipplers. Brake tests were conducted at Grantham South, Rauceby, Old Leake, Elsham and Appleby.

On the Thursday it left Darnall at 5-50 a.m. for High Dyke and then worked a special class "F" to Frodingham via the main line and Doncaster."

I wonder if a photo of these workings exists? I dont suppose these locos worked many iron ore trains in their lives.

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/