Riverside Line (North Tyneside) photos ?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Riverside Line (North Tyneside) photos ?

Post by PinzaC55 »

Here's my shot of a disused NER McKenzie & Holland bracket signal just west of Willington Quay station near the viaduct during demolition of the Point Pleasant - Percy Main section in June 1980. There was a substantial plate girder bridge over the road and the contractors demolished it then had to erect a Bailey Bridge over the abutments to get the materials out!
Also, one of the nameboards from Willington Quay signalbox which is upstairs in the Monkwearmouth Station Museum but has never been exhibited by them.
Attachments
Willington Quay Bracket Signal 21.6.80.jpg
Willington Quay Boxboard 2.10.93.jpg
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

TANFIELD wrote:Riverside Branch photos from various sources including my own.
tanfield.the photo of percy main station is looking west, the line coming in behind the signal box is the connection to the blyth and tyne,[it is at a lower level behind the wagons stabled in the sidings there]which the boat trains used to get to the quay ,the turn out to the riverside line is after the feather you can see above the west bound 101,a steam loco embedded itself in that box when it over shot the catch points there.
Phil K
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Phil K »

Thanks lads. Been off on hols. Back at work Sunday (groan)
Trying to pick up a cheap version of Alan Young's book.
I did have an excellent one, loads of original not-seen-since photos, but lent it to someone and never seen it since. Think it was one of my mates but he says no (no, he's not a thief. If he does have it, it's unintended)
TANFIELD
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by TANFIELD »

A few more photos of this interesting branch line serving industry, shipyards and scrapyards. Thanks Pinzac55 for your comments and use of one of your pictures. The suggestion of trying to save some fine signals from scrapping and your excellent photo site...I think I've deduced who you are!!
Attachments
Another  view of the St Peters NER LQ distant signal before recovery to Tanfield.
Another view of the St Peters NER LQ distant signal before recovery to Tanfield.
A 1959 view of Carville Station looking west. The tall signalbox is prominent, commanding excellent views over the station and Swan -Hunter exchange sidings.
A 1959 view of Carville Station looking west. The tall signalbox is prominent, commanding excellent views over the station and Swan -Hunter exchange sidings.
A 1959 view of St Anthonys station.
A 1959 view of St Anthonys station.
A 1959 picture of Walker Station.
A 1959 picture of Walker Station.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Hi TANFIELD, if you are who I think you are when are you gonna sort me out some pix of the Malton & Driffield?
Not on the branch, but referring to it, was this enamel sign at the Whitley Bay end of the footbridge at Cullercoats station. It would be worth about £200-300 at today's prices.
Attachments
Cullercoats {5}down side 2.12.jpg
Phil K
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Phil K »

Anyone know where I can get a cheaper version (or at least free delivery) of Alan Young "Suburban Railways of Tyneside"
As I DID have it but it's gone missing, a friend has it, but which one ? :?
TANFIELD
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by TANFIELD »

Riverside Branch photos and its decline.
Attachments
Carville SB and barrier controlled level crossing.
Carville SB and barrier controlled level crossing.
the operating floor and roof removed and the simple controls were put into the former locking area. The station buildings now badly vandalised.
the operating floor and roof removed and the simple controls were put into the former locking area. The station buildings now badly vandalised.
Walker SB now vandalised and in a bit of a sorry state.
Walker SB now vandalised and in a bit of a sorry state.
Walker Station still with name boards in place.
Walker Station still with name boards in place.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

A few years ago I visited Carville with a pal and we found that the door of the signalbox had been broken in and there was still the gate wheel with one signal lever in place.I tracked down ownership to try and get it for an RPS I was a member of but it was owned by the executors and they wanted a ridiculous price.
Phil K
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Phil K »

Good stuff, thanks people.
Anyone got pics of St Anthony's* Point Pleasant or the multitudinous cross-overs prior to Walker ?

* just noticed that pic !
When were the colour Walker Carville pics taken ?
Phil K
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Phil K »

PinzaC55 wrote:A few years ago I visited Carville with a pal and we found that the door of the signalbox had been broken in and there was still the gate wheel with one signal lever in place.I tracked down ownership to try and get it for an RPS I was a member of but it was owned by the executors and they wanted a ridiculous price.
The stupid thing is, these idiots were the same arrogant fools that stopped the Metro going to Kibblesworth and West end. I KNOW that the BR management or whoever was "in charge" of disused BR stock asked an obscene price for the rail and land and Metro just backed off and never went back. The rusted rails were pulled up several years later and the land wasted mainly. How these b*****s get jobs I don't know. They're probably managers on the NHS now, judging by the arrogant, corrupt incompetence THERE, now.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I think the gate wheel may still be there and it would be nice if SOMEBODY got it, as they are hard to come by now.

Here's Point Pleasant station looking west in the summer of 1978. As far as I remember the nameboard is in Darlington North Road Museum.
Attachments
Point Pleasant Station 1978.jpg
Phil K
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Phil K »

Thats a brilliant pic of a station I had no pics of.
Nice one. Cheers.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

another line i had the chance of a ride on but never took it :(
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Phil K wrote:Anyone know where I can get a cheaper version (or at least free delivery) of Alan Young "Suburban Railways of Tyneside"
As I DID have it but it's gone missing, a friend has it, but which one ? :?
Amazon have it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suburban-Railwa ... 875&sr=1-1
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Try Robinsons book sellers in the Grainger Market.