NER mystery stations

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

TANFIELD
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

NER mystery stations

Post by TANFIELD »

Can anyone identify the locations? Believe Co. Durham or poss. No. Yorkshire.
Attachments
These are two Jack Armstrong station pics in the care of the Armstrong Trust. Can anyone identify the locations, consensus is Co. Durham/No Yorkshire area.
These are two Jack Armstrong station pics in the care of the Armstrong Trust. Can anyone identify the locations, consensus is Co. Durham/No Yorkshire area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: NER mystery stations

Post by PinzaC55 »

Hi TANFIELD, the only thing I can say for sure about the top photo is that from the style of the signals it is somewhere on the NER Central Division - looks like Weardale to me?
I was going to say that the bottom shot was the original Wetherby station but I have a shot of Wetherby engine shed (later converted to a goods shed) and it had gable ends.It's definitely on one of the Wetherby lines - maybe Stutton which closed in 1902.
Here's my 1977 shot of Thorp Arch station for comparison-
Attachments
Thorp Arch Station (2) 23.4.77.jpg
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Tanfield.

Bottom station looks too big for Stutton which was always a small village. Definately not Tadcaster, Newton Kyme, Thorp Arch or Wetherby. Could it be Spofforth or a totaaly different line?

The goods shed is a GT Andrews design.

Andy
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I can't see how it could be on a different line - as you know each line had it's own style of station (except for lines which used Andrews) and it's obviously not an Andrews station.The style is exactly the same as Thorp Arch and it appears to be disused due to the fence where the platform was?
Here's my photo of Wetherby engine shed in 1979 - note that the gable end has cleaner stone than the bottom half , so maybe it was rebuilt in the early 1970's?
Attachments
Wetherby Goods Shed 10.2.79.jpg
Starbeck50D
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Starbeck50D »

The lower picture is Wetherby (old) station just on the Tadcaster side of Wetherby East Jct. The shed originally had a hipped roof and was rebuilt after closure. W East SB can be seen in the distance; the 10 and a half milepost from Church Fenton (North) can be seen on the down side by the fence in front of the former station house.
axlebox
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by axlebox »

The top picture is Ramshaw (Evenwood) on the Butterknowle branch with the view looking up the valley towards Butterknowle in what looks like very early BR days.