4472 and train

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

a4gresley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

4472 and train

Post by a4gresley »

Hi,Does any body have photos of 4472 and the train consist that went to America.Hornby is making the loco with 2 tenders and the observation car used on the trip and i would like to make models of the other coaches,thanks.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 4472 and train

Post by richard »

I did a web search a few years ago and printed some pictures out. I could probably find them, but colour photos from the 1960s, printed out and then scanned will not look good. I'll see if I can find a set of URLs.

Interesting seeing it at places like Fort Worth T&P Station and Terrell - both places I now know. So it must have gone through Wills Point (where we do a show each year in the T&P Depot) but no one has said they remember seeing it.

-----
Hmm, Google isn't so useful these days.
There's this very shaky video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDyOwfanmU

Something that looks to be in corporate blue, and the Pullman observation car at the back. Some interesting looking baggage cars in the middle? They might be available in HO, but the sizes won't match.

I think the consist changed - for example it would have used different coaches (perhaps just the two coaches and no baggage cars) when it ran as a shuttle/fun ride in San Francisco.

Yes found a picture, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37908073@N04/4172820239/

Looks like a Pullman, the corporate blue, and the observation car.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

There is some more information here: http://www.hornby.com/text-only/forum/f ... ad-L-12109
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

if you decide to model the kilt when it visited the states youve got the choce of red or black cowcatcher. I'll dig my slide out.

mr B
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I remember hearing something at the time that 4472 nearly didn't return home to good old Blighty at the end of her American tour and i believe was going to remain in the U.S.A. and may have even been 'broken up' for some reason?. Didn't Mr. Pegler lose 'a lot of money' on that American tour?.
a4gresley
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by a4gresley »

Hi,thanks for the information,it was helpful.When 4472 came to Adelaide Australia i had the honer of placing my oo gauge Trix 4472 model in front of the name plate,the media went wild,such a thrill.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Micky: I don't know the full money but yes it was "stranded" in San Francisco for about a year. I guess this is where McAlpine came in. It seems like everyone who has owned it has spent a lot of money on it.

Marchington's outfit couldn't afford a lot of the required maintenance. I don't know if this was also the case for the other owners, but reduced maintenance comes back to bite you.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes i recall hearing that 4472 was 'stranded' in the USA at the end of the tour and that the locomotive may have had to been left in the US and may have been broken up!. I presume Mr.Pegler run out of money?. There would be 'outrange' in the preservation movement nowadays but back in 1970/71 it hardly made any ripples?.
mr B

Post by mr B »

Micky wrote:I remember hearing something at the time that 4472 nearly didn't return home to good old Blighty at the end of her American tour and i believe was going to remain in the U.S.A. and may have even been 'broken up' for some reason?. Didn't Mr. Pegler lose 'a lot of money' on that American tour?.

Hope that your Trix A3 is in better condition than mine, bought new 1980's, the rear driver has split also the front bogie wheel. I'm still going through my slide collection for 4472 in the states - could be Canada.

mr B

Did'nt they sneek the Scotsman out of the states on fake papers over one of the holiday periods ?
mr B

Post by mr B »

fount it after a lot of searching, mind you out came the 8mm, super 8, 9.5 etc...
flying scotsman in usa.jpg
Main or Winnipeg ???

mr B