K Class at Hatfield

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: K Class at Hatfield

Post by StevieG »

Micky, I think there was a short(-sh?) bay platform at the end of the Hertford single line, at the north end of Hatfield station, like a short island platform beside the Up Slow with the bay track behind it, so presumably Hertford trains coming and going (well, certainly this one, pictured anyway) wouldn't have needed to conflict with the Up Slow.

I believe this short 'island' was north of the barrow crossing from the Down Main and Western Platforms' island, which crossed over the Up Slow and the Up Fast & Down Main (& which lasted until fairly recent times, with 'white light' "Cross only when lit"-type indicators), so the complete platforming then along the Up Slow would've had this huge dip in it for the barrow crossing near the north end.
Last edited by StevieG on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

It would make sense now that you mention it Stevie having a bay platform at the north end of the up slow line platform for use by the HATFIELD-HERTFORD branch trains. Of course i remember the bay platform at the south end of the station along side the up slow line worked by HATFIELD No1 s/box (formerly HATFIELD No4 up to 1920).
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
After reading SOME of the replies! I thought to myself would'nt there have been a bay platform at the north end of Hatfield (up side) I can't remember for the life of me if there was one, and there's not many photo's of that end of the station, any pics out there!!!!!!
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mossie
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by mossie »

Hi Guys

I have attached a copy of a page from the book "The Hatfield and St. Albans Branch Of The Great Northern Railway", published by The Oakwood Press, that I think will explain the situation.

I have a copy of the 1896 Ordnance Survey map which shows no direct connection. Also the track plan dated 1947 in "Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds Vol.1" shows the alterations.

I am collecting photographs and other information for a possible future project of Hatfield, or based on Hatfield, in 00 gauge, 4mm to the foot for buildings.

Regards

Richard
Attachments
img020.jpg