ECML in the snow from the driving cab.

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

ECML in the snow from the driving cab.

Post by MickB »

Hi

Having seen and enjoyed the recent posting "Views from the cab", and given the recent snow in the south of England, I was prompted to post this link to my own website:

http://michael170.fotopic.net/c1801452.html

These pictures were taken in connection with my job, I am employed by East Coast as a Driver Manager.

Hope that you enjoy this selection.

MickB.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ECML in the snow from the driving cab.

Post by Dave »

Great photo`s

More amazed to see Leafy doing some work...he always seems to be at home
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Those are a wonderful set of quality photos, from a viewpoint that we rarely get to see.

Thanks very much.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

nice set of photo's...shame about Darlington. :(

mr B
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

A really great set of photos, have you got any more?
I would love to see a set taken north of Newcastle
sirbrian
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sirbrian »

A lovely set of photographs of the modern railway! It is almost like being there!

Sir Brian
Brian Scales
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

60041 wrote:A really great set of photos, have you got any more?
I would love to see a set taken north of Newcastle
Sadly I don't have any from north of Newcastle as that is the limit of my route knowledge.

Thank you for the compliment, b t w.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hello MickB, a really great set of top quality photos. After 37 years since I last saw the East Coast main line from the "sharp end", many locations were instantly recognisable, I reckon after a couple of refreshers I could sign the road again although in my day Selby was on the main line and I never did go the other way.
Seriously though, I wish I had been able to afford a better camera when I was younger and had the opportunity to grab some unique photo's, especially now I have all the latest gear. I'm quite embarrassed by the quality of the pics I posted but I thought they might be of interest.
If you've read my earlier postings, you will know I defected to Waterloo in 1974 and had to learn a whole new railway. The aftermath of the Clapham crash bought me a Traction Inspectors post and with privatisation came a Driver Managers job and finally Depot Manager.
In my time at King's Cross, promotion came via the lower links doing work that no doubt would be covered by EWS or FCC nowadays, Newcastle main line work would be at the very end of a long struggle up through the links. What is the recruitment and progression process on East Coast today?
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

Hermit 109 wrote:Hello MickB, a really great set of top quality photos. After 37 years since I last saw the East Coast main line from the "sharp end", many locations were instantly recognisable, I reckon after a couple of refreshers I could sign the road again although in my day Selby was on the main line and I never did go the other way.
Seriously though, I wish I had been able to afford a better camera when I was younger and had the opportunity to grab some unique photo's, especially now I have all the latest gear. I'm quite embarrassed by the quality of the pics I posted but I thought they might be of interest.
If you've read my earlier postings, you will know I defected to Waterloo in 1974 and had to learn a whole new railway. The aftermath of the Clapham crash bought me a Traction Inspectors post and with privatisation came a Driver Managers job and finally Depot Manager.
In my time at King's Cross, promotion came via the lower links doing work that no doubt would be covered by EWS or FCC nowadays, Newcastle main line work would be at the very end of a long struggle up through the links. What is the recruitment and progression process on East Coast today?
Hi, and thank you for your compliments. These days East Coast select drivers via two methods: Firstly, via internal promotion from non driving grades (EG Guard, Fitter etc). People recruited this way are subject to an intensive 12 month minimum training course, which includes a minimum of 240 hours driving under the supervision of a Driver Trainer. The other recruiting option is to take on qualified drivers from other companies (known as Ex TOC). These require only route and traction training and can be 'up and running' in around 5 to 6 months. At Kings Cross, our youngest driver is 28 and he has been driving for 4 years. What would some of the 'old boys' have made of a 24 y/o going Newcastle, eh ?
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hi MickB, well I guess I was in my 20's when I was in the main line links as a secondman. I was lucky with all my regular mates and got to do 50% driving all the time, but we got some strange looks from some of the Gateshead crews & inspectors where the secondmen were in their 50's and almost the same age as the drivers.
My personal experience with different drivers was that seniority alone didn't make a good driver and the techniques of some of the senior drivers made my toes curl. But I also learnt from some really good professional enginemen and I reckon that someone in their twenties can be just as good (or better) than more senior drivers.
In our TOC, we had similar system of recruitment and employed drivers from all walks of life, not just from railway grades and most of them proved to be very good (some excellent). That demonstrated to me, that you don't have to have a railway background to become a good train driver.
D9001 waiting departure from Leeds with 1A33, 17.50 to K.X 20/04/1970
D9001 waiting departure from Leeds with 1A33, 17.50 to K.X 20/04/1970
D9010 arr K.X c1973, yours truly leaving cab
D9010 arr K.X c1973, yours truly leaving cab
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents
Who's been shopping then !! Early Saturday morning trip to 'Donny' could be very handy, just before Christmas, love that Market. I use to take the wife and son to the market there at least once a year, nice day out.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
ajax103
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by ajax103 »

MickB wrote:Hi

Having seen and enjoyed the recent posting "Views from the cab", and given the recent snow in the south of England, I was prompted to post this link to my own website:

http://michael170.fotopic.net/c1801452.html

These pictures were taken in connection with my job, I am employed by East Coast as a Driver Manager.

Hope that you enjoy this selection.

MickB.
Thanks for these photos, I'm well familiar with your work after being introduced to one of your photos by Paul Flint who I believe you gave a photo to, who now drives for East Coast at Edinburgh.