Q5/Q6 Driving position

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

captaincuttle91
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Q5/Q6 Driving position

Post by captaincuttle91 »

Can anyone confirm that Q5/Q6 locos were all right hand drive - I've been asked to confirm this by David Williams who is preparing an article for Steam Days on the NER/LNER 0-8-0's - we are both of the opinion that these locos were all right hand drive & non were ever left hand drive - the RCTS green book (and other publications) do not mention otherwise, however we would like further clarification of this if possible.
Thanks
Dave
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Q5/Q6 Driving position

Post by 52A »

All of the Q6s I observed (by no means all of the class) were right hand drive. Q5s alas before my time!
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Q5/Q6 Driving position

Post by ArthurK »

I doubt if any of these locos were every changed to lefthand drive. There was no real reason for such a change. It would also have required change in the tender brake standard position. I cannot recall this ever being on the left.

Added to that it would have meant moving the operating rods for the steam reverse system. No Q5 ever had the reverse cylinders anywhere but the right-hand side by the sandbox. The cab controls were therefore on the right also. The Q6 Reverse cylinders were buried between and not visible but the operating controls were through the right-hand handrail.