Riverside Line (North Tyneside) photos ?

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Riverside Line (North Tyneside) photos ?

Post by PinzaC55 »

In case anyone is interested I have a nice copy of "Lost Railways Of Northumberland" for sale
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _500wt_949
It has several very nice Riverside shots.
HAL O THE WYND
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by HAL O THE WYND »

I was a book lad at Riverside Jcn box in the early sixties,this was a very busy box,and it was common practice then for the "boy"to work the job while the signalman took his lunch etc. Access to the box from the Byker side was through the grounds of Byker station,but from the Heaton side there was a gate in the fence on South View, however this meant having to cross four roads complete with third rail electrics!.In my estimation you were working 25 - 30 trains per hour,which kept you on your toes!,a typical hours breakdown would be 6 electric trains,4 main line expresses,4 empty stock workings,3 coal trains,3 parcels trains,3 light engine movements,2 local passenger trains,and 1 fish train.Trains to the riverside branch were quite scarce (about 2 aday if i remember right).It wasnt all hard work though and i remember some great games of cards(and games of "headers"with a tennis ball from one end of the box to the other often witnessed by passengers on the flying scotsman etc.) happy days!
Starbeck50D
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Starbeck50D »

Hello Hal, welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your recollection of working at Riverside Jct. You don't by any chance have a photo of Riverside or Ouseburn boxes, I suppose? And while I'm at it, any lever frame details would also be more than welcome. Thanks in advance!
HAL O THE WYND
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by HAL O THE WYND »

Thanks Starbeck,unfortunately i dont have any photos or track plans,it was so long ago,i can remember working to Ouseburn box ,but it was often switched out to Argyle street,Heaton station was the next box east,and it was a very small section.