KX train diagrams in the 1970s.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: KX train diagrams in the 1970s.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

They were Distants for Five Arch (FA); Nos. 18 & 22 levers - so they were officially workable, irrespective of whether they'd lost their green spectacle glasses or wires to operate them. (Goods & Mineral's three distants were under FA's Homes, at FA box and by York Way viaduct.)

There were at least 31 roads leading off the right-hand edge of diagrams for FA.
I can't tell easily which lines they were for on the diagram, except that just a little further to the west, the diagram labels the adjacent sidings as "Inward Goods Shed", but I noted that the badges read (described as seen from their front) :
(on the........(on the
...left)............(right)
..SIGNAL.......SIGNAL
.DISTANT......DISTANT
..FROM..........FROM
HIGH LEVEL.....TWO
.SIDINGS.......SIDINGS
....TO.............TO
...COAL..........COAL
DEPARTURE..DEPARTURE

[23 was the FA Home signal to Coal Departure, with G&M 71 Distant below (and located on the face of the viaduct IIRC, along with a Coal Arrival Disc, but always shown on the Diagram as an ordinary ground-mounted straight post) ].
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

Micky wrote:Thinking about the Five Arch shunting frames distant signals again nos.18 & 22 i am fairly certain that as well as no green spectacle glass in both distants there was also no yellow spectacle glass in either signal as well and i am quite sure that there was no signal wires leading to this signal post also.
All in all the whole area beyond Five Arch shunting frame was quite an interesting area pity that there appears to be no photographs of this area from the early/mid 1970s prior to October 1975 and the closure of Goods & Mineral Junction s/box & Five Arch shunting frame that have yet appeared.
Here's one for your delight, dated 7 April 1974. I have a few more, unscanned as yet, in the same area.
Attachments
GN01-02-01.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hi Micky, I have a general view of the goods yard looking across from top shed but no detailed views of signals I'm afraid.
60021 departing top shed 1962, goods yard in background
60021 departing top shed 1962, goods yard in background
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Micky, there is a very good book "The Great British Railway Station, King's Cross" by Chris Hawkins that devotes a chapter to the Goods Yard with accompanying pictures There are also interior pictures of the old King's Cross station signal boxes that you may find interesting
Published by Irwell Press in 1990 ISBN 1 871608 14 7
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Micky, I was trying to find anything on King's Cross goods in all my old railway junk, I can't at the moment but I did come across my old set of LNER line classifications. They cover the entire LNER southern area including Guide Bridge, Sheffield area & East Anglia etc. They are in very delicate condition and not easy to scan, but here is the K.X area. This is probably not the right thread to include it, but I hope you find it interesting.
King's-Cross-Area-.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

Here's a scan of a bit of an operating diagram from ther early 1950's

Andy
Attachments
KX Goods Throat.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Hermit 109 wrote:Micky, I was trying to find anything on King's Cross goods in all my old railway junk, I can't at the moment but I did come across my old set of LNER line classifications. They cover the entire LNER southern area including Guide Bridge, Sheffield area & East Anglia etc. They are in very delicate condition and not easy to scan, but here is the K.X area. This is probably not the right thread to include it, but I hope you find it interesting.
(Image attached)
Thanks for this one Hermit.
Assuming chronological uniformity, I would say this mapping could be of around 1941-44 : - Highgate - Mill Hil East & High Barnet is shown as if already in LPTB hands, which I think was from sometime in 1940/41 ;
And Holloway Carriage Sidings box is still shown, which, from memory of other information of years back, was closed with the opening of the replacement box for Holloway North Down in about the mid-1940s.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

Micky wrote:Around 1970-73 (may be longer?) i think i can remember a class-6 headcode 6S**? running on week day afternoons around 2:30-3:pm from Kings Cross goods yard heading north down the main line through Welwyn which i took to be the 'Scotch goods' or what use to be the Scotch goods i think it use to be worked regularly by an English electric type 4 or class 40s if you like this train was usually a 'fairly long' train made up of 45mph short wheel base box-vans vacuum braked throughout mostly with a few odds & sods in amongst them.

I was going by the train crew diagram rob237 of 4S04 where according to the train crew diagram the crew got relieved at Peterbrough Westwood and NOT were the train eventually terminated.
I remember this particular working from my days as a Signalman in Arlesey 'box (August 1974 to June 1976). The train you refer to was 6S64, Kings Cross Goods to Millerhill which was nearly always Class 40 hauled and would sometimes turn up an LMR allocated example. From a Train Register which I have kept from those days, I see that I noted the following LMR example, 40023 on 17/2/75.

A direct successor to the famed 'Scotch Goods', 6S64 generally used to pass Arlesey anytime after 1515, and if I remember correctly, was actually booked Fast to Slow at Arlesey for 1N18, 15:00 Kings Cross to Newcastle to pass.

At that time, it was worked by Grantham men, one of the very few remaining mainline turns for them by then.

MickB.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mick,
I think I remember that 40023's card being in our KX Divisional Control (GN House) Locos board for a while [LM locos on the patch (KX-Stoke) were put on mid-blue cards if I remember correctly].
Can't remember how 40023 came to us though.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
elydock
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: The 'odd stock' mystery ECS working?.

Post by elydock »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
Talking about Brush 2's and 60mph, you get a Brush 2 on a Cambridge express and you struggled at near 60mph all the way to Hatfield, nearly always late into Cambridge, bit different coming back though. :D
manna
Was Dave Impy ever in charge of it Manna?? :D
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The 'odd stock' mystery ECS working?.

Post by StevieG »

elydock wrote:
manna wrote:G'Day Gents
Talking about Brush 2's and 60mph, you get a Brush 2 on a Cambridge express and you struggled at near 60mph all the way to Hatfield, nearly always late into Cambridge, bit different coming back though. :D
manna
Was Dave Impy ever in charge of it Manna?? :D
( See my Apr 19 2010 post of 23:05 p.m., at - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3510&p=28550&hilit=impey#p28550, and Micky's Apr 06 2010 08:19 a.m. post not far above it, to which it refers. )
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \