Re: Felling station photo's

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

hope
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by hope »

Hi, thanks to everyone for the response, but the station I remember was opposite the Brandling station, access was from sunderland road down a dark covered ramp at the start of the footbridge, the station building was larger than the Brandling and had a booking office, waiting room and toilets, with a covered platform on each side of the building, the Felling station now is a metro station, the only thing that remains of the old station is the access, but the old ramp has been replaced by concrete steps leading from the footbridge to the platform.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Then you mean Felling Station, pics of this station are very rare indeed, a short film clip of a Clayton passing through appears on one of Marsden Rails videos.
The station was as you say, a signal box and signal gantry were at the North end, the coal drops being just further on, one of the old goods buildings still stands near where the drops where. A goods reception building was above on Sunderland Road and had a lift down to the platform, the ped access was by a covered wooden ramp off the footbridge.
A siding which was originally the spur into John Pit was opp the platform, a twin arm signal was also there, you can still see where it has been cut off and the square stump left in the wall. All the station buildings, signal box and gantry were swept away in the late 60s.
a house near me has an original seat with the cast plate " Felling" still attached in their garden
I was born very near to this station and it was my boyhood stamping ground and I was last on the station yesterday.
hope
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by hope »

Hi, that's the station I remember, I was also born in the felling, Thomas street at the top of the bankies 50 years ago, I can remember my dad lifting me up to watch the trains on the same footbridge, as you say there does not seem to be any photo's in existence of the station, I will try and get a copy of the tape and have a look, thanks very much.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

In this pic of the John Pit taken from the Bankies you can just see the signal gantry and the top of the signal box.
Attachments
john pit.jpg
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Redtoon,

If it isn't too nosy, where did you get that picture? Only asking because I have a copy of the same one in a little higher resolution, and another to go with it. (Everyone. Just click on the pictures and you'll get full size)

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

From here Malcolm

http://isee.gateshead.gov.uk/

My family worked at this pit for generations, in fact five of them are listed as killed in the great disaster of 1812. I have my grandfathers pit lamp from that colliery. They transferred to Heworth colliery where I belong after Felling closed, then Wardley / Follonsby and finally Westoe at the end of mining.other members of my family are named in the causualty list of various pits on the D.M.M.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/f002.htm

Did you notice the guy up on the ladder attending to the signal ? elf n safety would take a wobbler these days.
keithr
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by keithr »

Alan Young's excellent book Suburban Railways of Tyneside, has a picture of Felling station. It's captioned "Newcastle bound dmu passes Felling on a misty 12 Feb 1972. Demolition of the awnings is at an advanced stage". The picture shows the station from the footbridge, looking towards Gateshead.
soulmansteve
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by soulmansteve »

Hi everyone, I recently acquired a 'new' photograph that includes Felling Station taken from Sunderland Road in the early 60s. It was taken by an advertising company looking for sites in the region. It's not 'on my home patch' so I put it on Ebay at a modest start price if anyone is interested, but you'll need to be quick!
Attachments
FellingP.jpg
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

That photo takes me back, there used to be a little motorbike shop just about where the bus is standing, run by a bloke called Graham Little, it was like Aladdins cave. I used to visit it a lot about 35 years ago.